Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doug Crf Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Question about Texturing a ceiling
    I read on-line on a do it yourself page to prime the ceiling first so after scraping the popcorn and patching all the nail dimples and repairing all the little scrape marks so I wiped the surface with a rag and primmed it with Kilz 2
    Primmer.
    When I went to home depo to get some stuff for the project a guy that works said the same thing,To prime with Kilz 2
    So that's what I did.I got it all primmed and let it dry for like two days.
    I started to put plastic on the walls so when I spray the texture it won't get on the walls,So when I started putting up the plastic I figured as I went along I would tear off pieces of tape and stick them to the ceiling so I could use both hands to get the plastic where I want it and grab the tape from the ceiling,Well I noticed when I grabbed a piece it pulled some primmer off the surface as well so I thought I would stick tape in a few places to see if the same thing happened and it did the tape I am using is the blue scotch tape,So now I am worried that after the texture is sprayed is it going to pull the primmer and fall off the ceiling.
    Any one have any input?
    Thanks Doug
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Mar 26, 2006, 01:50 PM
    Did you use the "Delicate surfaces" blue tape? Its thinner than regular blue tape. It has red writing on the inner cardboard section of the tape. This tape is used for on painted surfaces, the other blue tape is not.
    As for the Kilz, never liked it, think its over rated. I use Behr new drywall primer/sealer and had better luck w/ that stuff. It also dries very fast so within an hour you can top coat it. Usually 2 coats of the primer over spackle surfaces, then paint.
    LeeAnnMemphis Posts: 58, Reputation: 6

Mar 27, 2006, 05:45 AM
    Now they have ceiling paint that has popcorn in it, you just roll it on the ceiling with a special roller brush that costs a few dollars. Its really easy and less work than spraying!
    pmed70 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2006, 07:08 PM
    I agree with skiberger make sure your using the right tape, but unlike him I prefer kilz over behr I've used many brands and I don't not use behr products but this is just personal preference and definitely put 2 coats of primer, I prfer ICI paint ,unfortunately I disagree with Leeann I would spray it as you said if you roll it within a cpl yrs the ceiling will start peeling, if sprayed properly you won't have any peeling issues, just my opinions everyone's differs, 20 t yrs in home improvement and I don't like having to redo things

Goodluck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Southwind V ceiling fan question [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a Southwind V ceiling fan from Home Depot. Being an electrician, I did not have too much problem installing the fan except when it came time to put the remote receiver in what they call the canopy cover. I am having a problem fitting the receiver inside the canopy cover. Thank you.

Ceiling Fan wiring question [ 15 Answers ]

I was trying to install a new ceiling fan this weekend and ran into a little problem. It looks like the previous owner cut the existing wiring in half so instead of 1 black, 1 white and 1 green wire I have 2 sets of each. Is this a normal wiring scheme? Do I just connect both blacks together, both...

Texturing walls in new closet [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings everyone! I have a question about a possible shortcut. I'm finishing the walls in a new closet I built. I plan to tape and mud the joints just once over, rather than going through the effort of really smoothing them out with multiple passes... and as such, I will need to hide the...

Yet another ceiling fan question [ 6 Answers ]

I have successfully installed a ceiling fan before but the old house I now live in has wiring that baffles me. The Hampton ceiling fan I am installing has the usual black, blue, white, and green (ground) wires. The outlet does not appear to have any ground wires (so I will ground the fan to the...

Ceiling texturing after popcorn removal [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We're renovating a condo built in the 70's and have chosen to remove the popcorn ceiling. We've just about finished the removal and will be sanding, repairing, and priming. We're struggling with whether to texture the ceiling before painting or not. Looks like someone has come into the condo...

View more questions Search