Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    santmor Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Cannot use internet but connection is good
    Hi, I read a lot of questions with the same problem but I can't figure it out.
    I have a router with wireless and cable connection. The cable (local area connection) works fine (100Mbps), but when I try to enable wireless does not work. It says "limmited or no connection" if I don't put an IP, and it says "excelent connection (54Mbps)" if I put an IP address.
    There was a MAC using the same network and wireless, while I had to connect the cable. The same computer (laptop Inspiron 6000) always used wireless, and it works in other networks but mine.
    I did a tracing and this is the result:

1 5 ms 6 ms 5 ms 10.40.0.1
    2 18 ms 7 ms 18 ms ip-22.net-80-236-6.asnieres.rev.numericable.fr [
    80.236.6.22]
    3 24 ms 39 ms 45 ms ip-120.net-80-236-7.asnieres.rev.numericable.fr
    [80.236.7.120]
    4 20 ms 18 ms 17 ms 64.233.175.234
    5 111 ms 100 ms 137 ms 72.14.236.220
    6 112 ms 103 ms 242 ms 209.85.248.216
    7 102 ms 113 ms 104 ms 216.239.49.145
    8 120 ms 101 ms 105 ms yo-in-f147.google.com [64.233.169.147]

Trace complete.

Anyone can help?
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jul 6, 2008, 08:52 AM
    If it works just fine when you provide an IP address but doesn't when you don't, then it sounds like you have a problem with DHCP.

Go to the command line and type ipconfig /all. Post the results here both with an IP address provided and without. I need to see what it's doing.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 6, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Probably DHCP server turned off on the router, go to http://192.168.1.1 and check it out

Jul 7, 2008, 05:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twilcox
    If it works just fine when you provide an IP address but doesn't when you don't, then it sounds like you have a problem with DHCP.

Go to the command line and type ipconfig /all. Post the results here both with an IP address provided and without. I need to see what it's doing.
    here it is:
    1) wireless without IP supplied - "limited or no connection"
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name.. . : DDV9G091AMS
    Primary Dns Suffix.. . :
    Node Type.. . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled.. . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled.. . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description.. . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
    Physical Address.. . : 00-13-CE-A3-92-1F
    Dhcp Enabled.. . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled.. . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address.. . : 169.254.62.93
    Subnet Mask.. . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway.. . :

----------------------
    2) wireless with forced IP address - "connection excelent" but does not access internet/outlook

Windows IP Configuration

Primary Dns Suffix.. . :

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description.. . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
    Physical Address.. . : 00-13-CE-A3-92-1F
    Dhcp Enabled.. . : No
    IP Address.. . : 85.69.179.183
    Subnet Mask.. . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway.. . :

-----------------------
    3) with cable - no IP address forced - works fine
    Windows IP Configuration

Primary Dns Suffix.. . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description.. . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Physical Address.. . : 00-14-22-E3-C9-29
    Dhcp Enabled.. . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled.. . : Yes
    IP Address.. . : 192.168.0.10
    Subnet Mask.. . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway.. . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server.. . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers.. . : 82.216.111.124

When I use this configuration to connect wireless, DHCP appears NO enable.

Jul 7, 2008, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCleaner
    Probably DHCP server turned off on the router, go to http://192.168.1.1 and check it out
    It was off and I changed, but still does not work.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 7, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Is your wireless access point built into your router or is it a separate device? If it is a separate device, plug it in to one of the available LAN ports in your router. If it is, change it to a different port. It is possible to assign a LAN port to an Internet address. If this has been done in your router, you probably want to change this.

In section 1, you are showing the MS assigned IP address meaning that an address could not be obtained from a DHCP server.

In section 2, you assigned an Internet IP address and not one from your router. Why is that? Did you connect your computer directly to the modem? If this is connected to your router, then you should assign an IP address similar to the one in section 3 except outside of the DHCP range. Typically, the DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 in a default router setup. So using something like 192.168.1.80 would be fine. You must use the same subnet mask and gateway address as the DHCP assigned addresses.

In section 3, you obtained a proper DHCP address from your router.
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jul 7, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Well, I'm actually correcting what I said, try the following as your IP configuration:

IP Address: 192.168.0.90
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS Primary: 192.168.0.1
    DNS Secondary: 82.216.111.124

The reason you couldn't connect to the Internet when you provided the IP address previously is that your router is configured to work off a private network, with your public IP address only being used on the interface leading to your modem. If you try to assign that directly to your laptop, it's not going to connect properly. Give that a try, also, if you later want to use DHCP, you might try searching the Internet for a file named dhcpd.dll and replacing the copy of it currently on your computer.

Jul 8, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole
    Is your wireless access point built into your router or is it a separate device? If it is a separate device, plug it in to one of the available LAN ports in your router. If it is, change it to a different port. It is possible to assign a LAN port to an Internet address. If this has been done in your router, you probably want to change this.

In section 1, you are showing the MS assigned IP address meaning that an address could not be obtained from a DHCP server.

In section 2, you assigned an Internet IP address and not one from your router. Why is that? Did you connect your computer directly to the modem? If this is connected to your router, then you should assign an IP address similar to the one in section 3 except outside of the DHCP range. Typically, the DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 in a default router setup. So using something like 192.168.1.80 would be fine. You must use the same subnet mask and gateway address as the DHCP assigned addresses.

In section 3, you obtained a proper DHCP address from your router.
    wow, you lost me... well there is only one device: router wireless NETGEAR connected to the cable service. I can use internet connecting the LAN (computer-router). Remember that other computer was able to connect wireless, so the router is working.

Now, when I change the setting as TWILCOX said, nothing changes, in fact the little computer icon on the bottom right of the computer (quick launch) that represents wireless does not blink, bu maybe that's normal cause the one representing LAN does not blink eighter.

%&^(!#%)(&!! What should I do?

Jul 10, 2008, 06:35 AM
    What is the model of the NetGear device? I would like to look it up to see what it is capable of.

Jul 10, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole
    What is the model of the NetGear device? I would like to look it up to see what it is capable of.
    Mmm... maybe... would be CBVG834G?? Says NETGEAR Cable Voice Gateway.

Jul 10, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Wow. Three bonded connections. That can offer some really high bandwidth rates. I'm jealous. Your router has (1) WAN connection, (4) LAN connections and (2) VoIP connections.

To start with a simple configuration would be best and then go secure once you have it all working.

Based on what you have posted previously, verify the following settings:
    DHCP Server is enabled.
    The Scope would be something like this: 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.150
    The Subnet Mask would be 255.255.255.0
    The Router (gateway) address would be 192.168.0.1
    The primary and secondary DNS Servers would be any two of the following: 82.216.111.124

Verify that your PC's Local Area Connections TCP/IP configuration are set to obtain an IP Address using DHCP. When connecting a PC to one of the (4) LAN port connections with a Cat 5e or Cat 6 Ethernet straight passthrough cable, you should be able to go to a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL and get the same information as you saw in section (3) above:

IP Address... 192.168.0.101
    Subnet Mask... 255.255.255.0
    Gateway... 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server... 192.168.0.1
    DNS Server... 82.216.111.124

After this is confirmed, then attempt to setup the wireless connection WITHOUT security enabled in your router. Remember to disconnect your Ethernet LAN cable before attempting to connect to a wireless connection. You do not want to create a network loop with your laptop ethernet and wireless connections.

Once you are confirmed that you can connect via wireless, you should then be able to setup a wireless security key using WPA-PSK, WPA2 PSK or WEP. Write down what method you use and what the key is so that you can duplicate it in your wireless setup. If your wireless software uses saved profiles, remember to place this profile at the top of the search order. If there are other nearby wireless devices that have previously been discovered by your wireless adapter, it will attempt to connect to these devices in order of preference. Yours should be first.
    yourcomputerguy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 09:04 PM
    I don't remember seeing anything about wireless security enabled or not...

I have seen lots of times, that if you're using WEP, with the correct key/phrase, your connection will show 'connected' and 'excellent' but you will NOT get an ip address via DHCP.

To resolve this, if this is the case, check your wireless settings inside the router and see if it's "open" or "shared" type of encryption... and make sure your windows configuration is the same. For example, in the list of available wireless networks in windows, you can go to 'advanced' and set the settings manually. Check the drop-down menu for 'open' vs 'shared' and adjust appropriately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot access to internet but the internet connection is good [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a problem, and I have no clue about it. I have a wireless internet connection and I don't know what happened but I can not access to the internet. The wireless connection is fine, there is the green icon saying that the signal is perfect, but when I open the internet...

Internet wireless connection good but can't view webpages [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a new laptop and I set up a wireless connection. It says that I have an excellent connection but when I open internet explorer, I get "Page Cannot be Displayed" Is there something I have to set up in Internet Explorers to make this work?

Internet connection [ 1 Answers ]

I just got my computer fixed and I connected to the modem and it says I am connected but the internet doesn't work at all. When I look at wireless network connection status in the general tab on the acitivity there is a number under sent but there is always zero under the received. My ip address is...

Good morning I'm having a problem accessing AOL with my home computer. Each time I log on AOL ask I down load again and restart my computer. I have to do this each time I log on. What can I do ?

Dear group I've a P4 1.7MHz PC with 128Mb RAM, loaded with WinXp OS. My problem is as soon as turning on my computer the IE is loading automatically and made a connection to my default home page, without any permission. What is the problem and how can I solve it? Any help will be thanked

View more questions Search