Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c2it48 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Juniper Shrubs
    When is the best time to prune Juniper shrubs. Is early spring to late?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2006, 07:55 PM
    Some evergreens are best done in the late fall or winter, others in the summer after the new growth is complete. I am not sure about junipers. Why not call your county extension agent. Every county has a cooperative extension service, even highly urbanized ones. Your tax dollars at work. Since this is a function of the USDA, it is not available outside the USA, although other countries may have similar programs. Help us by giving at least a clue to your location.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2006, 08:15 AM
    HI,
    Pruning juniper shrubs, according to the article listed below, is best in early spring, after the first signs of new growth.
    http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/en.../feb88pr2.html
    The site above explains why.
    Evergreens basically are very dormant late in fall and in the winter. I have 6 evergreens in front of my house in VA, and I use electric hedge clippers on them when they start getting too big.
    I usually clip them during the late spring or summer, when they are full of new growth and the sap is really flowing. I do wish you the best, and happy clipping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this bug eating my shrubs? [ 5 Answers ]

I have several shrubs and bushes that have been eaten up and I'm not sure what is eating it and how to fight it! The leaves have holes and big chunks missing. The plants are suffering quite a bit. Some of them even turning black in spots! Lately I've come across an earworm so I thought that might...

View more questions Search