Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 06:23 PM
    What were American heroes in Iraq doing on July 4th?
    "At Camp Victory outside Baghdad, 1,215 troops from the Army, Marines and other services re-enlisted in a mass swearing-in ceremony led by top U.S. war commander Gen. David Petraeus. At least two husband-and-wife couples were among those signing up for another military stint.

"Before an immense American flag hung in the rotunda of the palace headquarters of the U.S. military in Iraq, the troops saluted Petraeus, then sang 'God Bless America.'"
    US soldiers in Iraq mark Fourth of July - Yahoo! News
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 5, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Makes you proud to be an american, those anti US protestors would not have been popular at our town activities, the crowd signing along with God Bless America and the political speeches callling on God and Country
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Makes you proud to be an american, those anti US protestors would not have been popular at our town activities, the crowd signing along with God Bless America and the political speeches callling on God and Country
    I would like to have been in that crowd at Monticello.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 06:59 PM
    [QUOTE=N0help4u]Check these out

YouTube - Dance Party in Iraq

Thank you, and God Bless America and these wonderful Americans!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2008, 07:02 PM
    I liked the Electric Avenue on that video

Some of the other videos in the related video column are good too
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Thanks, again. Go, USA!
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 5, 2008, 07:45 PM
    That is 1.5 percent or less of active duty participants in Iraq that decided to re-enlist on the 4th of July. Let's not neglect the other 98.5 percent. One day they will finish up their contracts and have to make that weighty decision. I have a cousin that finished up four years in the Army, including one trip to Iraq. He didn't want to make a career out of being in Iraq, or wherever next. I don't know that every soldier is an Audie Murphy, but I'm certainly happy that my cousin and brother made it out alive. My brother, by the way, survived four trips and did come away fairly healthy with exception of some nerve damage that he was treated for after a week stay in the hospital.

STLtoday - 'Patriot' — just what do we mean when we use the word?

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Sylvester Brown Jr.
    07/06/2008

""What is a patriot?"

Butch Ward, Poynter Institute Distinguished Fellow, posed the question in a recent column.

For about seven years, "the word patriot has been redefined to applaud those who support this nation's military campaigns, and to impugn the character of those who suggest other courses of action," Ward wrote.

Poynter is a school for journalists in St. Petersburg, Fla. Ward's column, posted online a few days before Independence Day, urged newsrooms to help audiences "think beyond the labels."
    Well, the holiday has come and gone, but the challenge is still relevant, especially since the words "patriot" and "patriotism" have become so pedestrian. But just who is a patriot? When are we really patriotic? How do we even define that?

Let's consider some recent squabbles over patriotism.

To some, failing to wear a flag pin means you're not a patriot. Barack Obama found that out the hard way. And, apparently, one becomes a great patriot if captured as a prisoner of war. Retired Gen. Wesley Clark got roughed up recently after suggesting that John McCain's time in a Vietnam prison doesn't necessarily make him qualified to be president. Clark was immediately accused of questioning McCain's patriotism.

If people followed the rationale of some media pundits, criticizing President George W. Bush's administration automatically means you are no longer a patriot.

But what about those insightful words popularly (and incorrectly) attributed to Founding Father Thomas Jefferson: "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."

The word seems to strike all sorts of reactions. Just hearing the word patriotism gives Arthur Lieber, educator and Creve Coeur resident, the chills.

"My first reaction is that it is right-wing code language for blind loyalty. The term 'patriotism' resonates with me as much as hearing someone say, 'The United States is the greatest country in the world,'" Lieber said. "It may be, but how would anyone know if they haven't spent extensive time in all countries? Rating countries is about as scientific as rating contestants on 'American Idol.'"

Des Peres resident Carol Size maintains that America is indeed the greatest country in the world. Furthermore, she said, there's only one clear definition of patriotism: "It means loyalty and love of one's country. That may mean displaying a flag on your house or car. To me, it means being proud of my country, even if it may not be perfect all the time."

Size said she demonstrates her patriotism by respecting the military and praying for soldiers to be safe.

I hear this from a lot of people. "Supporting the troops" is their measure of patriotism. But, what does that mean?

How many loyal "patriots" broke away from the brats, beer and partying on Independence Day to show support or appreciation for the troops?

They could certainly use it.

According to a Washington Post report early this year, suicide among active-duty soldiers last year reached its highest level since the Army began tracking suicides in 1980. About 2,000 soldiers, a sixfold increase since the Iraq war began, injured themselves or attempted suicides.

Those numbers don't include the 20,000 U.S. service members returning from combat in Iraq who were diagnosed with, or showed signs of, brain injury. Nor do the numbers include the 200,000 veterans (2,000 who served in Iraq or Afghanistan) who are currently homeless.

Shouldn't "patriotism" include looking out for these soldiers?

That and more, said St. Louis resident and retired McDonnell Douglas engineer Eulyses L. Jones: "Patriotism is the act of doing the best you can to take care of yourself and those near you. Patriotism is asking what can I do for my country and the world we are a part of."

St. Peters writer and storyteller Mary Garrett agreed: "I think of patriotism as a responsibility. We have such opportunities, such benefits, some call them blessings. With that comes the responsibility to do good, for the children, the elderly, the sick."

Although Lieber jabbed at conservatives, he's not so sure the "progressive" definition — standing up for the Constitution and civil liberties, and championing the underdog — fully defines patriotism either.

I'm siding with Lieber, who also suggested that patriotism should be removed from the American lexicon. It simply can't be defined. To do so, Lieber said, one has to include or exclude people based on artificial measures like flag pins or grandiose words about freedom, flag and country.

As shown by the comments above, patriotism is many things to many people. It's more emotive than substantive.

"What is a patriot?"

Everything and nothing at all.
    "
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    That is 1.5 percent or less of active duty participants in Iraq that decided to re-enlist on the 4th of July. Let's not neglect the other 98.5 percent. One day they will finish up their contracts and have to make that weighty decision. I have a cousin that finished up four years in the Army, including one trip to Iraq. He didn't want to make a career out of being in Iraq, or wherever next. I don't know that every soldier is an Audie Murphy, but I'm certainly happy that my cousin and brother made it out alive. My brother, by the way, survived four trips and did come away fairly healthy with exception of some nerve damage that he was treated for after a week stay in the hospital.
    We are enormously indebted to all our brothers and sisters in service; thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heroes of countries [ 1 Answers ]

2 countries that hold heroes, what are they, and where are they kept?

Who are your heroes? [ 8 Answers ]

I was listening to a wonderful song called "my hero" by the foo fighters And it got me thinking You don't have to be any particular kind of person or have any kind of special job to be a hero A firefighter or a sportsman can be a hero But so can a good father, a friend, or someone who just...

View more questions Search