Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    red463 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Dislocated shoulder bone
    Hi

I am male, 23 years old, I was the attention of a mob attack 6 months ago, now during the experience a cop tried to help me but was pushed over and he fell on me, now this was quite a well built, stocky fellow, and I land on my left shoulder with both his and my weight on it, the shoulder got dislocated then and I had to pop it back in while still engrossed in the shenanigan, now yesterday morning I was playing basketball, and I happened to put my left hand out to stop the fellow (yeah it was a foul :mad:) he pushed it away with his body and guess what? The shoulder pops out of place again, I put it back in socket, and then move out, now what I am worried is will it stop me from playing and enjoying my life? And will it keep happening often?
    Is there any thing I can do about it?

PS:
    I am looking for the punk who fell on me
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Jul 6, 2008, 04:14 AM
    A joint dislocation can be one of the most painful injuries if not reset in a timely manner. Shoulder dislocations will stretch the shoulder, upper arm, and torso muscles, causing intense pain. An initial dislocation will cause the body to release endorphins to reduce pain and shock, but once the endorphin rush is gone, a dislocated shoulder will continue to cause severe muscle aches.

Shoulder Dislocation - Dislocated Shoulder, Glenohumeral Dislocation

If you haven't, as of yet, I would recommend you make an appointment with your family physician as soon as possible. Or if need be go to the ER and have your shoulder examined. This type of injury is not something you want to let go untreated.

Jul 7, 2008, 09:37 AM
    I went to see a doctor today, he wants me to get an MRI scan, and then he said maybe we'll need surgery, is it true?

Jul 7, 2008, 12:35 PM
    It sounds like when you dislocated your shoulder the first time this has damaged surrounding 'soft tissues' - that's all the tendons, muscles, things like that. This in turn has lead to a further easy dislocation. Occasionally, an MRI is needed to further access any damage that may have occurred when the shoulder dislocated. The MRI can determine if a tear of the anterior inferior labrum has occurred. The tear can be associated with a small bony fragment of the shoulder socket (Glenoid).

Jul 8, 2008, 11:04 AM
    I am not yet there, but does it make sense to go in surgery for this?
    I've heard that you can never get back the old flexibility after a surgery??
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 8, 2008, 11:49 AM
    My sister fell off her horse and dislocated her shoulder, and she is able to use it just as well as before.

Are we to understand that you're looking for the "punk" cop who accidentally fell on you while trying to help you escape the mob? I hope when you find him you thank him...

Jul 8, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Being perfectly honest with you, anyone can lend you overwhelming information as to why and why not elect surgery. Probably the best information is from someone who has gone through the same situation as you. Hopefully, this will lend you much needed insight to a very tough but necessary discission.

Department of Orthopaedic Surgery - Education

Jul 8, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Hey thanks gem!! For all your replies..

Jul 8, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Do your research, get as much information as you can, then get a little more. Remember, we all have but one body for a life-time. Do what you feel is right for you. Let us know how things turn out.

Goo-Luck to you.

Aug 30, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Hi again guys, well it dislocated again while swimming yesterday, I was having a real fast lap and then boom in the middle of the pool, I don't know what to do... my doctor wanted me not to do this...

Aug 30, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Whatever became of your MRI? I take it that surgery at that time was unnecessary. I am kind of surprised that you take that kind of risk to possibly seriously damage your shoulder again. A 3rd dislocation in such a short period... I am at a lose for words.

Aug 31, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Well they said surgery wasn't necessary but wanted me to avoid any activity for about 1-2 years, cumon, I am 23 and have always been active, I guess now I understand they were serious, what do I do now?

Aug 31, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Most patients ( under the age of 30 ) sustain what is called a Bankart Lesion but without knowing your specifics only your orthopedic surgeon can submit to you any qualified answers on the subject. I am also very active and can remember not heeding a doctors medical advise. Mine being a bit less serious than your situation but there is a time when good common sense has to take over. Follow your doctors warnings before you create an injury that may wind up being of a permanent nature. Take care of yourself, NOONE else can do it for you.
    quitevizzy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 06:29 PM
    Hey I also have this same condition, when I am playing basketball or anything contact my shoulder pops out of place and it is extremely awful. I have trying not to do anything on it for months to see if the situation would be better but still no hope.. what's the best thing to do guys!

Jan 28, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Well, I had an appointment a few days ago, guess what he said?

Surgery

So there you have it, but I had an MRI again today and an appointment on the 11th feb so, I'll let you know what he says.

Jan 29, 2009, 01:49 PM

Hello again red463. Good to hear from you again. Well, surgery it is. There must have been great concerns for your well-being. Good-Luck and by all means, stay in touch. Your experience may also help someone else currently going through the same situation.

Jan 29, 2009, 03:29 PM
    Well, I sure will, thank you gem!

Feb 15, 2009, 01:54 AM

Well I met up the doctor again with my new MRI, he says that it's a torn labrum, and he was pretty pushy that I get surgery, so I have added that my to do list.. he asked me to take care about how I use my shoulder until then, like avoid heavy bench presses, wide push ups etc.

Feb 15, 2009, 03:13 AM
    Good to hear from you again red463. Just be careful with your shoulder until after your surgery.

Labral Tear:
    neilbrown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 05:37 PM
    I have the same problem after a car accident. My shoulder pops out if I move it the wrong way. I pop it back in very painful and doesn't get less painful after multiple times doing it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog ate bone whole [ 2 Answers ]

M small dog ate a rib bone whole. Will he be okay?

Jaw dislocated? [ 7 Answers ]

My jaw moves left and right and my friends said it was dislocated.

How to tell if dogs leg is dislocated [ 2 Answers ]

My dog just recently fell when she jumped and she cried a lot and her leg is raised up how can I teif its dislocated or broken she walks around on her 3 legs and she sits and when she lays down she stretches out her legs but I know she's in a lot of pain

He left part of the bone in my shoulder [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I had shoulder arthroscopic (?) surgery 2/5. Three days later in physical rehab my shoulder was hurting really bad and also snapping, bone on bone. I had the stitches removed on 2/13, telling the doc that I was in agonizing pain and not sleeping. He had me come back on 2/21 for a steroid...

Bone dry [ 3 Answers ]

Tonight my boyfriend and I were having sex (he got me off before we did it so I would be lubed enough) and everything was going fine until I started to feel a burning/friction sensation. I then realized I was bone dry. I have no idea why this happened. I don't see how it could all just go away....

View more questions Search