Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    natalie08 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2008, 04:30 PM
    1 Week 5 day old baby on 5-6oz on sma, is this OK?
    She drinks it so fast, you would not believe how quick it actually is and I know she would take more if I let her.
    They say she has put on 3 weeks worth in one week.
    Some say it a bad thing but is it?
    She was born 7lb10oz and now weighs 8lb4oz and is two weeks old this Sunday.

Thanks in advance.
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jul 5, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Sma is that formula?
    davejag Posts: 308, Reputation: 5

Jul 5, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Well my baby gained a lot in the first 3 weeks as well, they did tell me with formula you can overfeed a baby. I would speak with your dr or health nurse.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by natalie08
    She drinks it so fast, you would not believe how quick it actually is and I know she would take more if I let her.
    They say she has put on 3 weeks worth in one week.
    Some say it a bad thing but is it?
    She was born 7lb10oz and now weighs 8lb4oz and is two weeks old this Sunday.

Thanks in advance.

Could be a growth spurt... around 10 days or so is fairly typical for the first one. See if it continues for a few more days and whether she backs off a bit on the amount.
    Also check to see that she is actually hungry. Some babies want the extra sucking for comfort, and are not always good at turning away or thrusting out the bottle that young even if they don't want it, so they have little choice but to drink it down. You might try a dummy first (you'll probably have to hold it in for her or she will keep spitting it out due to tongue thrusting) or your little finger and see if that keeps her happy.
    Is she keeping it all down or is there any issue with spitting up? How are her bowel movements?
    It is usually not recommended just yet, but I know some mothers switch early onto the SMA white for hungrier babies. Usually it is best to wait as it can be more difficult to digest for such a young baby... another option, and personally what I would do, is to just continue to feed her what she has been on if she seems to want it while offering a dummy between feeds to see if she is really hungry as much as she has seemed to be.
    holly_penyo Posts: 81, Reputation: 11

Jul 5, 2008, 11:30 PM
    5-6 oz each feeding? That is a lot. 5-6 oz is what a 4-6 month old baby should be taking.
    TheBugsLife Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Jul 7, 2008, 05:38 PM
    I work in a children's hospital as a formula tech and I can tell you that you are over feding your baby you baby should only be taking 2 -3 oz every 2 -3 hrs.. My son was born 8 lbs and 11 oz and still wasn't taking that much... like doula said try the dummy thing and after a few oz burp and give a passy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

BABY DADDY Fighting for Parental Rights and baby live part-time with his wife / kids [ 16 Answers ]

I have been in an extra-marital relationship for six months with a man who was "leaving" his wife. He told me repeatedly that they were living as roommates and he was moving out soon. Once this went on for some time, I decided I was worth more and broke up with him. I found out a few days later...

Week to week rental law [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been renting a room in the house of a man who is not legally allowed to rent rooms. He has been verbally abusive and sometimes has threatned me with physical abuse.. he threatens to kick me out all the time. I pay bi-weekly and have never been late on my rent.. Because he the...

10 week old baby [ 10 Answers ]

Are you supposed to give them water? I am a new parent and I don't know unless somebody tells me lol... and if so how much and when?

Baby strange illness. Whole body of baby get harden [ 9 Answers ]

My brother's baby boy 4 months old got a strange illness. He had blood tested, brain scanning, lung checking etc. Everything is normal. But the baby boy got an unpreditable "body harden" illness. That is when it happens, the whole body of the baby get stiff and he can not move, can not cry... We...

10month 3 week baby - lack of sleep [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 month 3 weeks baby boy - who is a wee dream, he is so good natured and content. We have one small problem... sleeping. He will not sleep through the night. He is still sharing our bedroom but is moving in the next month or so to his own room. I have no problem getting him to sleep...

View more questions Search