Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Violet31 Posts: 98, Reputation: 4

Jul 5, 2008, 02:42 PM
    People in China
    Iīm looking for people who lived in Shanghai, China. I have more details if someone can answer my question.

Could anyone be so kind to tell me how to perform a search there? My embassy hasnīt been able to do much and neither has the staff at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They told me I need to get in touch with some English speaking Chinese person.

If anyone can help, please let me know.

All the best,
    Violet
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 02:48 PM
    I don't know of many options for your search, but this is one site available for China, perhaps it may be of some help.

LOOK FOR YOU - Search
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 5, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Are they citizens of China or are they citizens of some other nation.
    And what is the purpose of the search.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 04:18 PM
    China is a different world. Most of it's population does not speak english at this point. Yes, find a person who speaks the common Chinese language (and understands how China works) and English. Ask her to help you.

Jul 5, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Are they citizens of China or are they citizens of some other nation.
    And what is the purpose of the search.
    They are close relatives, but born in China and possibly Chinese citizens if they didnīt escape the cultural revolution when they were children. My purpose? To reunite my family, of course. They made contact years ago, but we lost them. I need to find them and their children, if they had any before it is too late.

I have tried the site Look for you with their names, but nothing came up. Maybe it would if I could translate their names in Chinese. Iīve been to China and found the house where they used to live, but they were gone and no one could or would give me any details. I donīt speak Chinese.

I post this in the hope someone who speaks English and Chinese will be good enough to help me.

This is very important to me.

Violet
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 5, 2008, 05:42 PM
    This may seem silly, but I have to deal with a few churches at times in various parts of the world. For some like Korea or China I have asked help from a martial arts instructor, for help from some of the restaurant workers and at times other people from my church. I have to help in translation.

Jul 5, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Itīs not silly at all, Chuck. I learned in China that itīs best to seek help from people like that. I will ask a martial art teacher one of my family members goes to.

I know my missing relatives got help from some people at the University of Shanghai. Iīm trying to get hold of someone who may remember them there.

Any other useful tips? I live in the hope that some Chinese/English speaking persons will see my post and give me advice and help.

China is indeed very different from our Western or European culture. There are different ways of handling investigations there. However, China feels not as closed when I first started my search. It is much more open now, so I will not loose hope.

All the best,
    Violet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

From China [ 3 Answers ]

Who can tell me which country does this website belong to? I enter into this forum happenly, I am yang yane from China. Thanks so much. :confused:

View more questions Search