Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    achampio21 Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Jul 14, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Wow! All I can say is I hope this all turns out for the better for you. I would call the police Every time they do something. Maybe after 25 calls they will FINALLY DO SOMETHING!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by achampio21
    Wow! All I can say is I hope this all turns out for the better for you. I would call the police EVERYTIME they do something. Maybe after 25 calls they will FINALLY DO SOMETHING!

Legally no matter how many times she calls the Police this is a domestic matter - not a criminal matter. Unfortunate but the circumstances being what they are, that is the legal answer.

I would suggest against continuing to call the Police after being told they cannot assist because some day OP may need them and they will not take her seriously.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 06:07 AM
    ... and actually the police can get tired of them calling and fine them.
    In my neighborhood the police come anywhere from 2 to 30 times a day for the same few families. Often they end up saying if you call us one more time we are fining you or taking ALL parties anyway involved to jail.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    ...and actually the police can get tired of them calling and fine them.
    In my neighborhood the police come anywhere from 2 to 30 times a day for the same few families. Often they end up saying if you call us one more time we are fining you or taking ALL parties anyway involved to jail.

You're right - same in my neighborhood. Also same thing with alarm systems. They get called, they've been called before, no grounds, they write you up - I have no idea what the charge is.

Jul 14, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Even though they are destroying private property!! That really sucks. Well, then I retract my statement and offer this in return...

Once they are gone, DON'T EVER allow them back again.

Good luck again. And keep us updated.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 06:14 AM
    At a point they are being destructive you MIGHT have a case but in the case of the pool police say it was their pool.
    Most I can see is they could take them to court for $ damage of anything ruined by emptying the water ---maybe.

Jul 14, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Man. You know, I think they should have a law class in High school instead of college. A class that is only for state and federal laws. To make people clear on each particular law and the most frequently abused ones. What the penalties are and so on. I think people sometimes break laws unintentionally and get severe punishment and then some people get away with all kinds of stuff.

There has to be SOMETHING that can help this OP. I can't imagine that it is totally OK for her son to destroy her property and trash the house and yard and be so horrible and threatening to her and nothing can be done. But if she did that to her neighbor, she would go to jail.

I will try to research any loopholes for you to get them out for you.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Man. You know, I think they should have a law class in High school instead of college. A class that is only for state and federal laws. To make people clear on each particular law and the most frequently abused ones. What the penalties are and so on. I think people sometimes break laws unintentionally and get severe punishment and then some people get away with all kinds of stuff.

There has to be SOMETHING that can help this OP. I can't imagine that it is totally ok for her son to destroy her property and trash the house and yard and be so horrible and threatening to her and nothing can be done. But if she did that to her neighbor, she would go to jail.

i will try to research any loopholes for you to get them out for you.

Attorneys and paraprofessionals do post on this board - there are no "loopholes." This is family law, not civil, not criminal.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Since the police will not get involved she needs to sue for $ damages of what they destroyed
    Not that she will ever see a dime but it is about all she can do
    Protection From Abuse order might work but...
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 09:05 AM

There has to be SOMETHING that can help this OP. I can't imagine that it is totally ok for her son to destroy her property and trash the house and yard and be so horrible and threatening to her and nothing can be done. But if she did that to her neighbor, she would go to jail.

i will try to research any loopholes for you to get them out for you.

Actually many high schools offer business or personal law courses - I don't know how in depth the classes are.

My stepdaughter (who is an Attorney) taught at the high school level as a volunteer but the school discontinued the classes because she was asked and gave advice on various topics - and then discovered she had about 50% of the necessary info and was being quoted as the legal authority - based, as I said, on incorrect advice.

She had no desire to be sued - nor did the school.

Jul 14, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Domestic violence law and the term "domestic violence" usually refers to crimes involving domestic abuse, such as child abuse and child neglect, spousal abuse or domestic-partner abuse, and elder abuse. Domestic abuse isn't just physical; it also covers the threats, emotional abuse, harassment, and stalking that a spouse, partner, or date uses to control someone else's behavior. The abuse can be directed against anyone: children, former partners, roommates, and parents, but it is most typically directed against women. Domestic violence is a crime in all 50 states. However, in addition to cooperating with the prosecution of criminal charges, the victim of domestic violence can file civil charges. Read the following domestic violence information to learn more about domestic violence law, domestic abuse law and spousal abuse. You can locate a domestic violence lawyer, attorney or a child abuse lawyer by using the lawyer search directory.

** link to another question board deleted
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Where do you see domestic abuse here - ? Allowing a pool to turn green isn't domestic abuse.

Attorneys sponsor this board, pay the freight, are very supportive - they are the ones whose names should be posted, they are the ones who should be consulted, not some paid Internet site which is counting "hits."
    baincristina Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Lawyer states that they are harassing, verbal and ruining my property, and credit and he's my son and his wife. He sates its domestic abuse
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by baincristina
    lawyer states that they are harrassing, verbal and ruining my property, and credit and hes my son and his wife. he sates its domestic abuse
    Baincristina... what's the update? Did the attorney advise you to give notice and begin eviction proceedings? Have you done so? And what kind of time frame are you working with now?
    baincristina Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 03:50 AM
    Thanks for caring rockinmommy. As he's my son and there's no written lease.lawyer said if they do too much get restraing order. Not landlord tenant.but they are cleaning up and moving things. Watching close as I know there up to something. They said I don't have certificate to rent and they would do something to me. I wasn't renting I took the family home he's in his own room with wife. But she is trying to get me for everything possible!!
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 05:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by baincristina
    lawyer states that they are harrassing, verbal and ruining my property, and credit and hes my son and his wife. he sates its domestic abuse

If your Attorney believes this is domestic abuse I don't understand why your Attorney isn't moving to have them charged with domestic abuse. You don't need to go through the Police when it's domestic abuse - you go to the Court, file for a retraining order, ask for an emergency hearing if need be and get your Order.

Ruining your credit and property are most definitely not domestic abuse but certainly harassment is - it depends on the level of that harassment.

I don't understand - if it is domestic abuse - why your Attorney isn't recommending that you act. But you don't need an Attorney - go to the Courthouse and file.

And please let us know if you are able to get a restraining order on that charge.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 04:36 PM
    I will say this with some hesitation, you may want to talk to a second attorney, this is obviously landlord / tenant law. Same as a 19 year old that grew up in the house that you need to removed from the house that is doing nothing wrong at all.

There are many issues, first if there is damage to your personal property and/or damage to the home, and it is done in anger during a argument, it is domestic violence and they can be arrested for it.
    If they just damage it without argument or threats, it is just damage and a civil issue.

And it sounds like your attorney is not having you do anything but hope they move out and not destroy a lot. This is not right, there are many things you can do, to evict them. I am sorry it does not sound like your attorney is telling you everything possible to do. Or he is and you do not want to be hard and tough enough to do it.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I will say this with some hesitation, you may want to talk to a second attorney, this is obviously landlord / tennant law. same as a 19 year old that grew up in the house that you need to removed from the house that is doing nothing wrong at all.

There are many issues, first if there is damage to your personal property and/or damage to the home, and it is done in anger during a argument, it is domestic violence and they can be arrested for it.
    If they just damage it without argument or threats, it is just damage and a civil issue.

And it sounds like your attorney is not having you do anything but hope they move out and not destroy alot. This is not right, there are many things you can do, to evict them. I am sorry it does not sound like your attorney is telling you everything possible to do. Or he is and you do not want to be hard and tough enough to do it.
    Amen, Father! (I have to spread it around.)
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinmommy
    Amen, Father! (I have to spread it around.)

Thread should be closed - so many posts have been pulled that thread no longer makes sense and it's turned into an argument, not legal advice.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 05:39 PM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    Fr_Chuck agrees: promised them a green to balance, can't find the post with red, so here is a green]

That's because the post itself and any comments and all that followed got pulled. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

More stuff [ 3 Answers ]

Grave Service As a young minister, I was asked by a funeral director to hold a Graveside service in a new cemetery for a derelict man (with no Family or friends) who had died while traveling through the Area. The cemetery was way back in the country. This man would be the First to...

Need some answers about Moving on, and the whole happy alone stuff. [ 35 Answers ]

Brief history... Been with my girl for 8-9months... She lied to me about going to see her grandpa in another country when in fact she went there to live with another guy... She left christmas day, only wrote me 2 emails since. Nothing about us or anything just some stuff she wants me to do for her....

Moving out roommate's stuff [ 7 Answers ]

Living in Hillsborough County, FL: One of my roommates has recently been kicked out, and she signed her name off the lease agreement. Since then, she has not come back to pack her stuff or even begin to move it out. Am I legally allowed to take her belongings and put them outside the front...

Moving on but moving backwards. [ 3 Answers ]

Its been over a year since me an my man split. We were together for 7 1/2 years. I don't know where we went wrong. I remember one day waking up beside him and him showing me a ring asking me to spend the rest of my life with him an that's when everything changed. We were engaged for only 3 months...

Going through his stuff [ 2 Answers ]

Okay so I found out his password to his account and was tempted to go through his stuff, and if ound out that he is somewhat cheating on me or was close to it. How do I confront him without having him get mad at me for invading his privacy I know I was wrong... but what do I do?

View more questions Search