Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Syndee Lee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2008, 08:53 PM
    How many TYPES of Christians are there?
    I'm interested in Christianity and exploring my options. Catholicism didn't work for me for several reasons, but I have an honest understanding of the bible. I want to find something that is easy to incorporate into my life, but exciting enough to KEEP ME INTERESTED! :rolleyes:
    xaiegen Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Huh. I'm not sure religion is intended to be "easy to incorporate into your life", but it sure is exciting. If Catholicism didn't work for you, try Protestant. Myself, I'm Seventh-day Adventist; there's plenty of Christianity out there with slight, but IMPORTANT differences. What beliefs do you agree with? Baptismal method? Frequency to attend church and day of the week to do so? Healthy living? There's more questions to ask yourself.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2008, 10:40 PM
    Here is a list of the denominations

List of Christian denominations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jul 5, 2008, 10:25 AM
    There is only one kind of Christian. One who is obedient to the teachings of Christ. There are many different denominations and fellowships. I am (generacly pentecostal) and work in the Assembly of God here. You might try visiting one, probably a smaller one, as you would get instant acceptance and fellowship, whereas in a large one, you can attend for months before you get acquainted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 5, 2008, 10:51 AM
    First not sure what you call "exciting" do you want large music productions at every church service, or people handling snakes or perhaps georgian chants. There is something for everyone depending on your tastes.

And Christianity is a life style, not something to include in yours but one to take over the old. It is a way of life more than anything.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2008, 10:56 AM
    I agree with Galveston The Assemblies of God are about the most as they term 'on fire for the Lord' churches.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 5, 2008, 11:03 AM
    I don't know I would have said that about the Assemblies of God 20 years ago, if you went to one of their churches, there was the spirit moving in every service,

I visited a couple in TN a few years ago, and to be honest, besides the paid choir, the large screen projection TV I did not know that I was not in a Bapist or Methodist church, Perhaps some or many of them have been losing that fire.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2008, 11:27 AM
    I agree they seem to be losing the fire because many of them are now preaching a watered down self help and get prosperous in life doctrine rather than the Christian one but there are still a lot of good little churches that didn't get caught up in all that. I think the bigger the individual assemblies/non denominational church is the more likely they are following the self improvement =holiness 'gospel' that the televangelists are pushing.
    achampio21 Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Jul 5, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Southern Baptist was always exciting for me when I was a child.

You can't think that just because you are "incorporating" a "religion" into your lifestyle that it will fix anything. Religion is just like a job, only your at work 24/7/365.

You have to want it, you have to need it, you have to believe in it, and you have follow it.

But if you just want to have something to do on a few nights of the week to make yourself feel better I suggest finding one that has every type of exra's you can get. Quilting, scrapbooking, VBS, get-a-aways, volleyball, fieldtrips, daycare, nursery, etc... I even know of a church that has kickboxing classes on Tuesday nights!
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 11:44 AM
    There is only ONE type of Christian. The born again, saved by faith in Jesus Christ and his shed blood, death and resurrection...

There are many denominations and I do not believe it was ever the Mind of God. Paul has trouble even in his day with some saying they follow HIM and others someone else.

In the end, there is only one body, one church. All those that have put there trust in Jesus Christ.

How should you decide where to go to worship? I believe you should pray and ask the Lord to show you a local church where they preach the truth. I don't believe any denomination has got it all RIGHT. But make sure that they are preaching from the WORD of God and they are not adding anything to it... or to salvation. He can send you to a church that will minister to you if you will ask.
    Syndee Lee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT
    How should you decide where to go to worship? I believe you should pray and ask the Lord to show you a local church where they preach the truth. I don't believe any denomination has got it all RIGHT. But make sure that they are preaching from the WORD of God and they are not adding anything to it...or to salvation. He can send you to a church that will minister to you if you will ask.
    Thank you!! That was the best advice BY FAR. You did not judge me, nor belittle me because of my IMPERFECT choice of words! You made me feel like I did the right thing by posting my question here!
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT
    There is only ONE type of Christian. The born again, saved by faith in Jesus Christ and his shed blood, death and resurrection....

There are many denominations and I do not believe it was ever the Mind of God. Paul has trouble even in his day with some saying they follow HIM and others someone else.

In the end, there is only one body, one church. All those that have put there trust in Jesus Christ.

How should you decide where to go to worship? I believe you should pray and ask the Lord to show you a local church where they preach the truth. I don't believe any denomination has got it all RIGHT. But make sure that they are preaching from the WORD of God and they are not adding anything to it...or to salvation. He can send you to a church that will minister to you if you will ask.
    Yep. Too many folk today choose a church based on what makes them feel good, or what entertains them, but whether they are preaching the true un-adulterated word of God is a key factor. Sometimes the word of God is not entertaining, often it makes us uncomfortable because as we hear the word of God, we realize how far we far from being what God would want us to be. That is precisely why we need to hear it. Here is a guide to testing whether they are preaching from the word of God rather than the word of man.

http://www.geocities.com/smithtj.geo/testing.html
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Jul 10, 2008, 05:48 AM
    Each person is a world unto him/herself... Christians are not all alike... some are good, some are not so good. Each denomination is different and not all are satisfactory to all... too many variables.

Religion and spirituality are not malleable... neither can be "molded" to fit anyone, anywhere or anything... you either feel the need for it or you do not.

As to finding a "suitable" religious path to incorporate in your life... you will have to do your own search to find what fills YOUR spirit's need for religion... not someone else's idea of religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndee Lee
    I'm interested in Christianity and exploring my options. Catholicism didn't work for me for several reasons, but I have an honest understanding of the bible. I want to find something that is easy to incorporate into my life, but exciting enough to KEEP ME INTERESTED! :rolleyes:
    </IMG>
    achampio21 Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Jul 11, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Just so I am clear, I was NOT judging you. I know of several people that incorporate church and religion into their lives just for their kids, or just for the security of having a group of people that are trustworthy in their minds. These people only go to church for social reasons. I don't think that is wrong. It is their choice. I just to didn't want to tell you to pray about it and your response be... "if I don't have a religion how do i decide who to pray to"

So NO I wasn't saying that you are a bad person or that the way you worded it was wrong. I have ran into many people that want religion in their lives but they don't want religion to control or run their lives. I do not go to church. I pray at home. I found churches to be uninterested like you said and extremely corrupted. SO I refuse to go to ANY. You make your own choices. You will make your own relationship with God and will decide on your own what feels right and what feels like enough for you :D

Good luck to you. I apologize for giving the impression that I was belittling you. I just took what you said at face value and explained each choice.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Jul 11, 2008, 01:13 PM
    I totally agree with what ClassyT said and the only thing I would add is; know what the Bible says and know the Truths in the Bible while you are searching for a church. And be careful because God's truth is not always "easy to incorporate into your life"

Luke 9:23
    Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.
    Patriarch Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 21, 2008, 11:53 PM
    There are two types of Christians. The one type is real or true and the other is nominal or false. A person should not choose a religion based on his or her liking but choose one that is to God's liking. His determination of what is Christian is more important than ours. His Word will guide you.
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Sep 22, 2008, 08:37 PM

I don't believe you'll find something that's fulfulling through what the world offers. Even the israelites complained because they weren't receiving the goodness they thought they should, as god led them to a better place. I would start by trying to believe that god is real, and accepting his guidance through the holy spirit, in your mind and heart.
    addaddadd Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 02:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndee Lee View Post
    There's a christian in the bible. In Acts 11:26"And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that taught much people. And the disciples were called Christian first in Antioch." The disciples called christian and not protestant, born again or even catholics.Some religious group pretending they are christian, but they are not.
    Christian are those who follow the doctrines of christ Jesus.
    The doctrines of christ jesus are written in the bible. So if you read the bible you will notice a lot of leaders of religious denomination are not teaching of christ doktrines. One of the doktrine of Christ in women: "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array." I Timothy 2:9. Now look the women members of a large religious denomination how they dress. Because there pastor did teach the doktrine of Chhrist to them. If you ask where are the Christian? Find the leader who can teach all the doktrines of Christ. "Ask Bro. Eli Soriano, the Bible will answer" WordPress.com » Get a Free Blog Here
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Sep 24, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndee Lee View Post
    Although you have received a lot of what I considered sensible answers since you posted your question about Christianity, I would like to add something, if you do not mind, to Addaddadd’s post.

As you surely already know, Christianity is one of the three monotheistic Religions existing at present in our world (Judaism and Islam are the other two), and it is centered in Jesus’ message delivered to us in the Gospels presented in the New Testament.

In the 4th century, thanks to Emperors Constantine and Theodosius I, Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire.

The term Catholic Church, however, is mentioned for the first time around the year A.D. 107, by St. Ignatius of Antioch in the Near East, who wrote a farewell letter which his fellow Christians in Smyrna (today Izmir in modern Turkey), where he said, "Where the bishop is present, there is the Catholic Church" (To the Smyrnaeans 8:2).

Between the 8th and 12th centuries begins the separation from the Catholic Church of the Eastern Orthodox Church, whose main objection is the non-acceptance of the Pope as head of the Christian Church.

The Eastern Orthodox Church is the second largest single Christian communion in the world. Its assembly considers it be the very same Church established by Christ and his Apostles. It is composed of numerous theologically unified ecclesial bodies, each one lead by a synod of independent bishops whose duty, among other things, is to preserve and teach the Apostolic and Patristic traditions and related Church practices. All Orthodox bishops trace their lineage back to one of the twelve Apostles through the process of apostolic succession.

In the 15th century another major schism appears; the Reformation, that resulted in the splintering of the Western Christendom into several Christian denominations. Martin Luther in 1517 protested against the sale of indulgences and soon moved on to deny several key points of the Catholic doctrine. Others like Zwingli and Calvin further criticized the Catholic teaching and worship. These challenges developed into the movement called Protestantism, which also repudiated the primacy of the pope, the role of tradition, the seven sacraments, and other doctrines and practices. Reformation in England began in 1534, when King Henry VIII had himself declared head of the Church of England.

It was then when to differentiate themselves from the Catholics lead by the Pope, the English Church started to call Catholics as Roman Catholics, which is term later on also adopted by most Protestant Churches.

Finally, around the 19th century some Protestants Churches adopt the term Restorationism, which describes some religious movements in restoring the original Christianity to an important degree. Their claim is that a restoration of Christianity has become necessary because Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant Christians have introduced grave defects into Christian faith and practice.

In these movements there can be found the Latter Day Saint movement, which began with Joseph Smith and the publication of the Book of Mormon, and others like Paulicians, Hussites and/or Anabaptists.

But notwithstanding how chaotic and confusing all these denominations may look, they are nothing but petty and rather trifling differences when in comparison to the ONLY TRUTH BEHIND ALL OF THEM. This only truth being that all thee denominations refer to the ONE AND ONLY GOD there is, WHO, accordingly, must be the same one for everybody of us. This is why most of the answers you have received state that Christianity has much more to do with a way of life than with this or that Church.

Try your best to follow the message of love that GOD, in the person of Jesus, has given us and leave the rest in GOD’s hands.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gromitt82 View Post
    The term Catholic Church, however, is mentioned for the first time around the year A.D. 107, by St. Ignatius of Antioch in the Near East, who wrote a farewell letter which his fellow Christians in Smyrna (today Izmir in modern Turkey), where he said, "Where the bishop is present, there is the Catholic Church" (To the Smyrnaeans 8:2).
    This, of course, did not refer to the denomination that we have today which was founded in the 4th century, but rather to the universal church.

Finally, around the 19th century some Protestants Churches adopt the term Restorationism, which describes some religious movements in restoring the original Christianity to an important degree.
    Actually restorationism is movement separate from mainstream protestantism though parts may be considered protestant, but others parts of which are considered heretical by protestant and other non-Catholic churches.

In these movements there can be found the Latter Day Saint movement, which began with Joseph Smith and the publication of the Book of Mormon, and others like Paulicians, Hussites and/or Anabaptists.
    Anabaptists are another completely separate movement and are not part of the restorationist movement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

To All Self-Proclaimed Christians [ 41 Answers ]

A lot of this is not going to make sense, since I’m just basically writing whatever is coming into my mind right now so bear with me. I have a feeling the people (not all) who claim to love or believe in God only do it because of his ability to put people in heaven or hell. It's like a mass...

Christians and catholics [ 27 Answers ]

Some people say that christians and catholics are very similar, but they do divide because of some major doctrinal issues. Such as mass or eucharist. Catholics believe that when we take communion that the wafer actually becomes the body of jesus and the wine or juice or whatever is used becomes...

Christians belief [ 5 Answers ]

What do christians believe about jesus?

View more questions Search