Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bc_juno Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Adding Basement Door by cutting concrete wall
    Hi,

I need more space in the house, so I am getting my basement done. The basement only has an entrance from inside the house, but I would like to make another exit directly from outside. The wall I have to cut through is a brick/concrete wall but I am not sure if cutting through it would bring about any foundation/structural damage. I would appreciate it much if someone could guide me through this process and warn me about the potential dangers and/or precautions I have to take. Also, I need to dig 16'' in order to install the door properly. Thank you very much!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 5, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Look at your floor joists. The ones that are at right angle to the outside walls cause those wall to carry most of the load, avoid a door along that wall. The other two walls carry much less load but would still require the installation of a steel header. The header is not easy and may require some block removal and resetting. I would ask a contractor for a bid and see if you can copy his odeas if you can't afford his price.
    sinedo Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 03:51 PM
    I would brace the floor joists above the new opening before cutting the wall, if they were resting on that wall. The next thing to think about is draining that hole away from the door; that's your biggest worry, so do it right, considering your local weather conditions, and the first time is the easiest.

For up to a 36" opening, a 3/8"x 6" L-beam could be slipped under the wooden plate at the base of the upper wall, resting on the door frame, probably 4x6 pressure treated posts, should be plenty, without taking any head room for the beam.

Make sure there are no electrical or plumbing surprises in the exterior wall you're cutting. There shouldn't be any for a basement, but make sure you look at the electrical and plumbing fixtures above and around the opening. If the door will open out, leave room for it's swing.
    Denis

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I attach a door to a concrete wall? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I attach a door to a concrete wall? How can I attach the door hinges to a concrete wall?

Fasten stud wall to concrete basement wall [ 3 Answers ]

Planning to finishout a basement with stud walls on concrete floor. Planning to use Tapcon fasteners and treated 2x4 for bottom plate. Trying to protect for termites and moisture from the concrete. Thought about using a sill gasket. That would help the moisture but what about termites? I asked...

Diagram for putting in a toilet, shower, and sink cutting up the concrete basement [ 1 Answers ]

L want to do all the work myself, just wondering how long it would take to rip out the cast iron stack and replacing it with a pvc stack, and about how much it would be?

Adding opening assist to basement door [ 6 Answers ]

I have an interior wooden basement door in my utility room that is too heavy for me to open by myself. How can I add an assist to opening this.

Cutting foundation for basement door [ 1 Answers ]

I have a foundation wall that is 4' and I'd like to dig down to the floor level and then cut the wall to put in a door (create exit for basement). I will be removing 4' of dirt covering the floor/footings. Can I do this? I'd like to put stairs (concrete) on the outside of the home leading up to...

View more questions Search