Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snade17 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2006, 12:16 PM
    English as a second language
    I"d like to know the difference between the wordas "null", "zero", "nill", "nought"
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2006, 02:10 PM
    No difference.

They are all just different ways of saying zero.

You could have also included: nada, zilch, zip, nothing
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Mar 25, 2006, 02:23 PM
    You for got нет which is Russian for no, Nr which is Dutch for no and Nenhum, which is Portuguese for no.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 25, 2006, 02:25 PM
    You all missed out NOWT which is Northern for the same ;)
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2006, 07:16 PM
    You guys also missed NON which is French for no

:)
    Style Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Mar 25, 2006, 10:58 PM
    Getting slapped is a way to say no in sign language... aparently some girls don't take readily to "do you want to fool around?" before you ask them their name *shrug* (just kidding,I'm actually a good guy lol)
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 05:43 AM

null, adjective, noun, verb.adj.
    1. not binding, especially under law; of no effect; as if not existing. Ex. A promise obtained by force is legally null.
    2. of no value; unimportant; useless; meaningless; empty; valueless. Ex. Here the principle of contribution... is reprobated as null, and destructive to equality (Edmund Burke). (SYN) nugatory.
    3. not any; nothing; zero. Ex. The effect was small or null.

noun
    1. nothing; zero:
    2. loss of a radio signal or an electric current; zero transmission or reception.

v.t. to nullify; cancel. Ex. To null a signal.

zero, noun, pl. -ros or -roes, adjective, verb, -roed, -roing.noun
    1. the figure or digit 0; naught; cipher. Ex. Add two zeros to 5 and get 500. There are three zeros in 40,006.

2a. The point marked with a zero on the scale of a thermometer. Ex. The numbers have faded; so you can't tell where zero is on that thermometer.

b. the temperature that corresponds to zero on the scale of a thermometer. Ex. At zero water is frozen solid.

3. the complete absence of quantity; nothing. Ex. Zero added to or subtracted from any number gives the original number (Howard W. Eves). (SYN) nullity, nil.

4. (Figurative.) the lowest point or degree. Ex. The team's spirit sank to zero after its fifth defeat. (SYN) nadir.
    5. the correct sight setting of a rifle for elevation and windage at a given range.

adj.

1. of or at zero. Ex. The zero point of a thermometer, zero weather. The other team made zero score.

2. none at all; not any. Ex. Multiplication by zero gives a zero answer. (Figurative.) On a quiet Sunday there is zero probability of something happening

NIL not NILL

nil, noun, adjective.noun

1. something of no worth or value; nothing. Ex. The outcome of all these elaborate tests was nil (Harper's). As a conjurer her skill is nil (New Yorker).

2. a score of zero. Ex. They beat Manchester United by two goals to nil (Listener). adj. none at all; zero. Ex. Nil profits. The Caravelle would... land and take off in nil visibility (London Times). He regards his chances of nomination as nil (Newsweek).

naught, noun, adverb, adjective.noun
    1. nothing. Ex. To ask naught for oneself. Away! All will be naught else (Shakespeare). (SYN) nil.
    2. zero; 0. Ex. Two naughts after a six make six hundred. (SYN) cipher.
    3. a person or thing of no worth or importance.

adv. (adv. (Archaic.) in no way; not at all. Ex. The trial hath... Me naught advantaged (Milton). adj.

1. good for nothing; worthless; useless. Ex. It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth (Proverbs 20:14).

2. (Obsolete.) a. (of things) bad in condition. b. (of actions) injurious or wicked.

Also, nought.

Jan 29, 2009, 05:57 PM
    Here is a list for the word No/Nothing in about 300 different languages

The words "null" , "zero" , "nill" , "nought" are all different expressions of the word "nothing".
    sureshk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 07:23 PM

How do I design an assignement project
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 10:04 PM

Are you having problems with the English word assignment.
    Definition:-

Assignment, noun.
    Something assigned, especially a piece of work to be done, or a responsibility allotted to a particular person, group, or organization. Ex. Today's assignment in arithmetic consists of ten problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

English As a Second Language [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for samples of grading policies for students in our English as a Second Language program. We are in the process of refining our policy. Our new policy must be informative to parents, sharing good information. It has to be realistic for the expectations of students at various...

English as a second language [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I would like to know if it´s right to say football course or football pitch or if both of them are correct. On the other hand, Do you say volleyball course and basketball course. Is this correct? Thanks.

English language [ 3 Answers ]

How can I learn the english language in three months or lets say four months ? How can I teach children the english language in a simple way? How can someone teach the adults the english language in a simple way and a short time ? How can I evaluate the students performance in learning english...

English as a second language [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, could you rephrase /say in other words/ "When you have sinned grievously, the devil is waiting." I need to translate that in my native language but I can't get the meaning. I'd like to thank Judith for the previous answer. It was of great help for me.

English as a second language [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there! I'd appreciate it if you could rephrase the followng sentence for me to understand the meaning and translate it into my native language correctly:"Everything that you say or do I'm hung up on you"

View more questions Search