Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krissyg2991 Posts: 142, Reputation: 11

Jul 3, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Camera Conundrum
    I really really really really really really REALLY want to get into photography but I feel that it's hard to do with a p.o.s. kodak digital camera.
    I would like some suggestions on a nice professional camera, such as a nice canon or something.
    tropikool Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by krissyg2991
    I really really really really really really REALLY want to get into photography but I feel that it's hard to do with a p.o.s. kodak digital camera.
    I would like some suggestions on a nice professional camera, such as a nice canon or something.
    Have a look on eBay got some some good cameras on there and good bargains
    krissyg2991 Posts: 142, Reputation: 11

Jul 4, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tropikool
    have a look on ebay got some some good cameras on there and good bargains
    Do you have any particular brand (I dk if make, model applies, but... ) that you would recommend?
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Jul 7, 2008, 05:04 PM
    First, you can do quite a bit with the right p&s camera. For the best bang for your buck, get a Canon model that you can load advanced firmware on for advanced features. See:

Camera Hacks: Turn Your Point-and-Shoot into a Super-Camera

Learn all the manual modes, such as TV (shutter priority), AV (aperture priority), manual mode, flash, flash fill, timed exposures, etc. Always, ALWAYS shoot in RAW. (Pick a model from the above URL that can save in RAW when you use the hacked firmware.) Learn to post-process your photos - adjusting the exposure, color balance, adjusting the highlights and shadows, adjusting the luminance and saturation of the colors, etc. Learn how to use an adjustment curve, levels, and when and how to sharpen.

When you have mastered all of the features of this camera and want to take photos that this camera simply can't take, that would be the time to consider moving up to a DSLR. When you are ready for a DSLR camera, I highly suggest the Canon line. If you have a tight budget, get an older body, a refurb or used model (e.g. on eBay or craigslist). The particular body model doesn't matter that much, in a year or two you will want a newer one anyway so don't spend a lot of money on the body. Spend your money on your glass (lenses). There's a reason the more expensive lenses are expensive - they produce better photos! Buy the E model lenses that work with the better bodies (the 1D bodies, the 5d, etc) so that your investment in your lenses lasts as you upgrade your camera body. Don't buy the cheaper lenses (EF lenses) that only work with the small sensor models.

Another reason I suggest you go with the Canon line is that there are quite a few places where you can rent top-quality Canon lenses. There are 8 (perhaps more, now) online sits, and most high end camera stores will also have a rental department. This way you can rent a really nice lens for a week or a month, without the huge cost of buying the lens outright. See:

BorrowLenses.com - Camera Rental and Canon/Nikon Lens Rental

ZipLens - Online Lens Rentals for Canon and Nikon (d)SLR

A quick lens lookup for Canon lenses rented by LensProToGo

LensRentals.com - Rent Canon Lenses and Cameras

PhotoLensRental.com - Camera Lens Rentals for Canon

Rentglass.com - Mail order lens rental

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

F1 Visa Tax Conundrum? HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

I worked 3 jobs last year, two of them were at school and one was at an independent company as an intern. My school withheld federal and state tax from my paychecks but my internship didn't, therefore making me owe the government money. My school rightly did not withhold social security tax and...

Recommend a nanny camera or hidden camera system [ 5 Answers ]

I am hiring a live-in nanny and like any paranoid but responsible parent I want nanny cams. Can anyone recommend a company or system for me asap. I want hidden cameras. I would like to be able to view my house while traveling via internet. Also I want to record all activity in the house. Please...

Marriage conundrum [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you can help me with some advice on mine and my partner's situation as it is not 'clear-cut' and cannot be 100% answered by the information on the embassy website. I have become very frustrated and confused as we just want to be together but have become lost by the immigration...

Interesting conundrum. [ 14 Answers ]

Christians believe in God, Jesus and a "spirit" Muslims believe in God, and although they do not accept Jesus as a saviour they do believe in him and accept him as a profet. Jews believe in God. Do not and did not accept him as a saviour and for his troubles, murdered him. Given the above...

Conundrum [ 5 Answers ]

I am starting to look for work that I can do from home. I probably won't be able to go back to work after the twins are born because of the cost of child care and what I earn currently. I was looking online and everywhere I look I have to give money to join... I can't afford to do that, and they...

View more questions Search