Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raCHELADA Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 04:44 PM
    My pitbull pup needs to gain weight how?
    My pit bull puppy is about 8 months old now and hasn't gained weight in the last month an d and 1/2 I am very concerned cause she should be pretty stacked being a pit but she is petite which is fine my concern is that I can see her back bone and ribs... don't get me wrong I love my dog and I feed her daily and she eats about a bowl a day of dry puppy food. She isn't putting weight on and I want to know if anyone knows anything about a way to help her gain some weight.

PLEASE HELP

-raCHELADA
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Was she ever checked for parasites/worms?
    Does she have fleas?

Jul 3, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Yeah I went through those options she was been dewormed twice since she was born and I just did another dewormer and finished up yesterday so I am going to check her "stuff" when I get home to see if worms was the case... she doesn't have fleas cause I put the flea medication on her like the box says.
    krissyg2991 Posts: 142, Reputation: 11

Jul 3, 2008, 05:18 PM
    How much and what do you feed her?
    Certain Wal-mart brand foods just don't cut it.
    (Ol' Roy, etc)
    She definitely needs to be on a puppy food to help her grow. Something like, IAMS, Eukanuba, Science Diet, or Beneful. Also, certain Wal-mart brand, over-the-counter dewormers and flea meds (except frontline) don't work either. For example, Hartz, is horrible. I'd recommend taking her to a vet, who may or may not decide to run a fecal flotation test to look for parasite eggs, and getting some dewormer containing something like strongid-t or ivermectin. At our clinic we charge $8 for 1 cc. of dewormer, so it's fairly cheap (and banana flavored! ) Depending on your vet and what he/she thinks he may opt for more of a tablet but either way, it shouldn't be horribly expensive if it is worms and I highly recommend getting a veterinary professional to check her out and treat her.
    krissyg2991 Posts: 142, Reputation: 11

Jul 3, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Be sure to take a fecal sample to the vet also, because it really helps. Not all worms are easily shed in the feces either, so the only way to tell would be to test for worms without visual evidence of them in the feces is to run a fecal flotation test, which detects the eggs, which are always easily shed in feces.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 16, 2008, 10:40 PM
    Sometimes pups take a while to gain weight.

Is she spayed?

Jul 17, 2008, 08:56 AM
    No she isn't... would that be part of it... like I think that she should be heavier but like she always has food and I see her eat, and she hyper and happy and stuff so its not like she is miserable its just me cause other pits are so much bigger then her... could it be she is just taking longer to devlope? She hasn't even had her first heat yet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Weight Gain [ 3 Answers ]

I have gained weight after taking the deprovera shot but am no longer on it. I want to know what can I do to maintain my weight which I think looks so much better on me?

Pitbull won't gain weight! Ribs show! [ 14 Answers ]

I have 2 pitbulls, a male (Tyson- almost 2 years old) & a female (Sasha- about 2 1/2 yrs old)... The female brindle is a very healthy weight! Actually, my dogs bred & had 11 puppies their first litter & all the puppies lived w/ no complications (and the male was under a year old)!! But the problem...

Gain Weight [ 3 Answers ]

I am on a mission to add 10kg's of weight to my body, I need suggestions on what type of food to eat and to know whether there is any medication I can take to make the process easier. If I gain 10kg's, I want to start body building and improve myself image. :cool: Any help is much...

Weight Gain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Was not to sure which category to put this under. Well I am a 33 year old female and I am 5'1 and weight about 95 or 96 lbs. I think I am underweight. But I eat like a pig. I am not picky at all with what I eat. So how would I go about gaining weight? What should I weight? I used to...

How to help a pitbull gain weight back? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a pitbull which was left in the back yard of an abandon house, how do I help it gain it's weight back to it's initial size? Her ribs are showing and everything, she's a banter pitbull. Could someone quickly reply?:confused:

View more questions Search