Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dellsweig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 11:46 AM
    16.5 HP Briggs and Stratton OHV no fuel to engine
    I have a 10 year old Sears mower with a Briggs and Stratton 16HP OHV engine. Last week it started blowing tons of white smoke and stopped running.

After some research I decided to change the head gasket and generally clean up the engine. Changed the gasket - no problem, cleaned the bypass valve, put new plug and all back together.

Engine started right up - ran for about 2 minutes then stopped. Would not restart.
    Pulled valve cover and verified valves/pushrods were cycling the valves - no bent rods.

Checked spark - fine
    Checked compression - fine
    Checked fuel flow after the filter - fine

If I spray starter fluid into the carb - it still won't start - get a couple pops and backfire but no run.

What do I check on the carb? This unit has a solenoid on the bottom - I assume this shuts off fuel flow.

Help!!
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2008, 12:06 PM
    Yes the solenoid on the bottom is a fuel shutoff.
    Use carb cleaner instead of starting fluid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & stratton 6hp engine [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper valve setting and how are they to be adjusted?

14.5 Briggs and Stratton engine [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to adjust the valves on a 14.5 over head valve engine? Thanks, roustaboutx

12.5 briggs&stratton engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a briggs &strattonengine in my ride on lawn mower the battery won't charge when the engine is running

12.5hp I/C Briggs&Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

I went to start my riding mower for the first time this year and when it started is smoked real bad. I turned it off and checked the oil, it was over filled. I went to drain the oil and discovered it had gas in the oil. It ran fine last year, but I didn't drain the gas out at the end of the season....

14.5 hp. Briggs & Stratton fuel leakage [ 2 Answers ]

When the fuel tank is filled in my Poulan lawn tractor, gasoline flows into the cylinder freely. The only way to start engine is remove spark plug, drain fuel from cylinder, replace plug and start. Some valve is defective somewhere. Any suggestions about finding problem? I installed an in-line fuel...

View more questions Search