Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ppassat1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Black fingernails after death
    My mother was found dead after she collapsed when getting out of bed. It is unsure how long before she was found, anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours. The funeral home director stated that he could not figure out why her nail beds were black. My mother was a heavy smoker. The black color was under the nails? It was difficult to find a polish to cover this. What was this?
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Jul 3, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Lentigo maligna melanoma is relatively rare. It arises from a lentigo maligna on an exposed skin surface and usually occurs between ages 60 and 70. This lesion looks like a large (3- to 6-cm) flat freckle of tan, brown, black, whitish, or slate color and has irregularly scattered black nodules on the surface. It develops slowly, usually over many years, and eventually may ulcerate. This melanoma commonly develops under the fingernails, on the face, and on the back of the hands.

This is only one condition associated with discoloration under the finger nails. Possibly her family doctor was treating her for a medical condition and could lend a better insight on this for you.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 07:04 PM
    I doubt that that was the actual situation as expressed above-you would have seen this yourself if you had visited her regularly. If it occurred peri-mortem/post mortem I'd say it was related to death/delay after death (how long did it take to find her?).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A different black screen of death with beeps [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Folks! I am desperate for answers. Last night, I went to shut down my laptop (HPdv5000) and it appeared frozen. I couldn't click on anything, and all screens were closed. So, I did what most non-computer people would do. I just shut it down. This morning, I went to turn it on, and :eek: a...

Growing fingernails [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: how do I grow my fingernails,I take my vit. D and my calcium,drink my milk,now why aren't my fingernails growing,what's wrong here,what am I doing wrong,

Black Screen Of Death [ 9 Answers ]

Yesterday, I booted up my desktop computer and it refused to completely load. That is, the black screen with the Compaq splash screen would come up, and that's where the comp would stop. If I press any button, the splash screen goes away and a black screen comes up with <F10=Setup> in the bottom...

I have 4 fingernails that are pulling away [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 fingernails that are pulling away from the nail beds. My two thumb nails and the 3rd and 4th fingernails of my right hand. I have been to a dermatologist and he had me using thermal and peroxide treatment but after a year my old nail has not fallen off and the new nail has not grown in. ...

Black Death [ 3 Answers ]

Describe the European epidemic called Black Death. What was it? When and where did it go?What were its immediate effects?In what ways did the epidemic bring about change in the social, economic and religious fabric of Late Medieval Europe? I am in the process of answering this but it is for my...

View more questions Search