Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bass/assassin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Can't install printer
    I have a hp deskjet 5150 and it was plugged into the USB port in the back of the computer and it worked fine. I recently bought an All-In-One printer/fax/scanner and tried to install it but my computer didn't detect any plug and play devices. So then I bought a different USB cable and that wasn't the case neither. Well then I thought I might bought a faulty piece of equipment so I bought another one and it still didn't work. Well I got frustrated and was going to plug in my old one but it wouldn't work neither. I don't know what to do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Sounds like you may have damaged the USB port. Do you only have the one port? Can you check, under Device Manager, what it says about your USB ports?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2006, 08:10 AM
    HI,
    Do you have anything else you are using through your USB port(s)? Such as maybe a digital camera, or scanner? Do they still work?
    I have 3 USB ports on my computer, but one does not work; the other two still work.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 25, 2006, 09:50 AM
    Scott and fredg's suggestions are excellent troubleshooting techniques and I would definitely start there first before you try my suggestion. If those fail you however, then start considering a potential driver problem as Scott suggested. If you're running XP then go into "Device Manager":

- Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System
    - Choose the "Hardware" Tab then click Device Manager

Then look for a "?" (question mark) next to any of your devices and specifically the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" section. Basically any driver that is corrupt or not recognized will display "?" next to it. Sometimes a driver maybe disabled (for whatever reason) and you'll see that as well.

The easiest way to fix it in XP is to delete the driver by pointing to each of the subcomponents under the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" section and hitting the DELETE key for each one of them. Once you've deleted them then let Windows XP re-discover the driver for you by either rebooting or click in the same screen your computer name and then from the Action menu choose to "Scan for Hardware Changes". Make sure first that your Internet connection is operational before you do that since XP will/could try to get the drivers using an Internet connection. If you don't have an Internet connection then I suggest you go to the Microsoft site and download the USB2 drivers or as a last resort re-install SP2 (again if you're running XP).

Good Luck

Casey
    bass/assassin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2006, 07:21 AM
    I fixed the problem. I did like you guys said and checked uder the device manager and no driver was detected. Somehow my driver got deleted. So I went to the HP website and downloaded the driver I needed and now it works perfect. I really appreciate it!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Hi, bass,
    Glad you solved the issue, and thanks for letting us know how it worked out.
    Have a great weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unable to install printer [ 3 Answers ]

Seems to be one issue after another.. but hopefully this is minor one... 'used' to have a printer, but after various scares, scans, clean ups, etc.. Now cannot install a printer.. I click on 'add a printer' and get box saying operation could not be completed.. Win XP sp2 Updated files, ...

HP Printer 950 [ 3 Answers ]

My HP All in One 950 psc printer works fine on the print function, but on copy and on scan it will say "warming up" and just sit there. I have turned off, unplugged, reset, and still nothing. Occasionally it will work, but usually not. Any suggestions? ...

Which printer should I go with? [ 8 Answers ]

I have been considering purchasing a printer that has the capability of printing onto DVDs and CDs, which I see Epson is really taking up on. Currently, I have a very nice Dell All-In-One Printer with LCD screen, etc... and it works great, but ALL cartridges must be bought from Dell, which tends...

Trying To Install New printer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi-- When I try to install my new Lexmark Z-25 printer--I insert the cd and follow all the directions--at the end of set-up-it say's "Spool 32" has performed illegal operation---Thanks for any info--

View more questions Search