Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HomeBruin Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Well water pressure issues
    I have lived in my house for 5 years and have always suffered from low water pressure but just recently decided to investigate. Turns out the system never gets any higher than about 32 PSI. If I turn the pressure switch up, the pump just runs continuously and the pressure does not go any higher. If I dial the pressure switch out enough, the pump will cut off at 32 PSI. The pressure remains constant at 32 PSI if no water is running. If I turn on the kitchen faucet the pressure steadily drops to about 15 PSI (this takes about 2 minutes). At 15 PSI, the pump kicks in and is only able to get the pressure back to about 25 PSI until I turn the faucet back off. If I leave the faucet open until the pump kicks on then immediately close it, it takes about 3 1/2 minutes for the pressure to reach the cut off 32 PSI again. I think that before making the adjustments the pump was running constantly or close to it for god only knows how long as it was on when I first went to investigate and no water had been used recently.

I don't know how old any of the components of the system are with the exception of the pressure switch, which was replaced last summer (and probably never adjusted right at the time looking back on things). I believe I have a deep well (house inspector called it an artesian well?). The pump is definitely a submersible and I have a 42 gallon pressure tank that does contain a bladder.

Any help troubleshooting the problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 3, 2008, 06:55 AM
    What material are your pipes? Copper? Galvaniuzed or Plastic? Older house?
    What size is the pump control? Cut in and cut out points? What's the bladder tank pressure set at? Are you sure you reset the control box correctly? Click on ; http://www.inspectny.com/water/WaterPumpAdjust.htm
    To check. Let me know? Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 07:16 AM
    The fact that your pump will not pump over 32# is, obviously, your major problem. A two minute drawdown from the kitchen sink is not unreasonable, depending upon how much volume you are getting from the sink. But the fact that your pump is not able to recover with only one faucet on is also a troubling sign. There could be several reasons for this. For starters, is your pump above ground or in the well? Also, how deep is the well and, if you know, how old is the pump?

Jul 3, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Tom,

Thanks for the quick response.

I believe the house was built in 1946 and was added on to a few times. I live near a lake and it was originally a cottage, much like many of the houses on my street. All of the pipes that I can see are copper.

By the size of the pump control, I assume you mean how big is the pressure control switch? It's about 2 1/2" deep by 2 1/2" wide by 4" tall. Inside the cover it reads cut-on=30, cut-off=50 (it's from Home Depot, reads Type SK-2, Model sta-rite if that helps).

If I use a tire gauge to check the pressure tank it reads 30 PSI. Right now the pressure on my gauge reads 28 PSI (I've used the sink and flushed the toilet since posting so I guess it's to be expected that it might drop a bit?).

I can't be certain that I reset the control box correctly. I tried to follow your link but it gave me a page not found error.

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    What material are your pipes? Copper? Galvaniuzed or Plastic? Older house?
    What size is the pump control? Cut in and cut out points? What's the bladder tank pressure set at? Are you sure yoiu reset the control box correctly? Click on ; http://www.inspectny.com/water/WaterPumpAdjust.htm
    to check. Let me know? Tom

Jul 3, 2008, 07:37 AM
    I'm not sure how deep my well is. I was told when I bought the house that is an artesian well but I'm not sure that gives any indication of depth. The pump is in the well, not the basement and I have no idea how old it is other than to say it is at least 5 years old as that's how long I've owned the house and I haven't replaced it.

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe
    The fact that your pump will not pump over 32# is, obviously, your major problem. A two minute drawdown from the kitchen sink is not unreasonable, depending upon how much volume you are getting from the sink. But the fact that your pump is not able to recover with only one faucet on is also a troubling sign. There could be several reasons for this. For starters, is your pump above ground or in the well? Also, how deep is the well and, if you know, how old is the pump?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2008, 07:53 AM
    HB, I only know of two reasons a submerged pump will not generate sufficient pressure (in your case, only going to 32# and then continuing to run w/o raising pressure).

1. There is a leak somewhere in the wellpipe. The pump can overcome this to a point, but as pressure builds the leak acts like a pressure regulator, not allowing the pump to get over a certain pressure.

2. The pump is old/worn out and has lost one or more stages, thus reducing its ability to produce pressure.

Your switch appears to be working correctly. I am assuming you tightened the large, center nut to raise the cutoff and cuton pressures. If so, you did it correctly. Adjusting the switch is not rocket science.

SB was correct in referring to your tank pressure. Your tank has a flexible divider in the middle called a bladder. It prevents the air in the top of the tank from coming in contact with the water in the bottom of the tank. With the tank empty, you should set the pressure at the top of the tank to 2# below the cut in pressure. In your case, that would be 13#, assuming the cut in pressure is still 15#. Still, in all, that would not prevent to pump from pumping above 32#.

One easy item to check. If you feel OK doing this, turn off the power, remove the wires from the switch (remember how to reconnect them!), and unscrew the switch from the little pipe that connects it to the system. Make sure it is not clogged or obstructed. Still, I think you are looking at one of the two possibilities I listed above.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 3, 2008, 08:20 AM
    I can't be certain that I reset the control box correctly. I tried to follow your link but it gave me a page not found error.
    Sorry! Try this one. Tom
    How to adjust water pump pressure, pump cut-on pressure and pump cut-off pressure - private pump and well system do-it-yourself repairs

Jul 7, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Okay, I've been through all the tests and it appears I either have a leak or a worn pump. Can anyone recommend a reputable well company that services southern Mass? I live in Blackstone, which is near Franklin/Bellingham and just over the border from Woonsocket, RI.

Thanks,
    Dave

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Mainly low water pressure, but also a couple other issues [ 25 Answers ]

Hello My wife and I purchased our house 4 years ago and have always had really good water pressure, up till about a month ago when it started to gradually decrease. This past weekend, I spoke with my dad about it and he said that the pressure tank could be water logged (I have well water). ...

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

Hot Water Pressure Issues [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having a problem where the how water is sputtering out of faucets and making a loud "jerking" noise from the hot water tank area when the washer tries to pull in hot water. I tried releasing the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank which hadn't been done in a while but did not seem to do...

View more questions Search