Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AnupamGalt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2006, 03:45 PM
    F1-OPT-H1B tax questions
    I have been reading various threads on this forum to get an answer to my questions. I am hoping that I can get the best advice/answers from all the experts (especially, ATE), who are well informed by now.

I had been on F1 from May 17, 1998 -- Aug 31, 2005.
    Switched to OPT on Sep 1, 2005
    Went on H1B from Oct 20, 2005 -- till date

According to the substantial presence test as given in pub 519, I am a Resident Alien since I stayed in U.S. for more than 183 days in last three years. Am I right?

Q1. Can I just file 1040 and claim the tax treaty between U.S. and India since I was a student for part year from Jan to Aug? If so, how do I do this?

Q2. Along with the tax treaty, can I also claim the standard deductions since I was on H1B for part year?

In general, how do I go about filing my taxes while minimizing my tax burden legally?

Thanks and looking forward to some answers from the wonderful community here.

Anupam
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 24, 2006, 11:36 PM
    Anupam:

Generally, while you are under a F-1 visa, you are an "exempt individual", which means the Substantial Presence Test does not apply while you are under the F-1 visa.

However, there is a caveat to this rule: You can be on F-1 status for only five years and still be exempt.

For this reason, you DO qualify for resident alien status under the Substantial Presence Test, because your exempt status ended in 2003.

Q1: No, you cannot claim any treaty exemption.

Q2: However, as a resident alien, you can claim both the $5,000 standard deduction and the $3,200 personal exemption.

You need to file Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H-1B and W-2 Questions [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I was under H-1B for the whole of 2005, and I have completed 1040-EZ. I took the standard $8200 deduction ($5000 plus $3200), and it turns out that I owe about $900. My company handled all the papers and forms for the H-1B in late 2004, and I am just concerned, since I am assuming that it...

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Various questions [ 1 Answers ]

1- if you watch a clock on a train that goes past you at a constant speed v, how do you see it turnning? 2- which of the following forces it is possible to shield against? a- electromagnetism b-gravity c-a and b d-just magnetism e-just the electrostatic force 3- the earth...

View more questions Search