Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evan_Ellsworth Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Limited or no connectivity on laptop
    I recently have gotten high speed comcast internet in my home and it works great on my home computer, but when I try to hook it up (by taking the ethernet cord out of my comp and plugging it into my laptop) to my laptop (Dell latitude d600), an error message pops up saying that there is limited or no connectivity. When I try to repair it by pressing the repair button on the pop up, it fails because it cannot renew the IP address (?)

I used to do this all the time with my old internet provider (at&t dsl) but now its not working. PLEASE HELP ME!
    bikehappy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 07:24 PM
    I am no computer geek but I answered because many times I get this on my Dell latitude D620. I am wireless though and it seems like it is random. I try a re-boot of my wireless router thaqt sometines works, a re-boot of my Latitude that sometimes works, a re-boot of my internet box too sometimes.
    I am wondering if you shutdown your desktop then unplugged the cable and put it in the laptop before turning it on would help?
    I would be curious to know. If not I can ask my IT guy for you in the morning
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jul 3, 2008, 01:23 AM
    Do you have DHCP enabled on both the router and the laptop?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 3, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Bikehappy may not be a self proclaimed geek but his solution corrects most home network connection problems about 90% of the time. Rebooting your router and cable/dsl modem often corrects poor or no connectivity problems.

Jul 3, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Well I tried to power down the box but it has a battery abackup system in it and won't turn off...

Jul 3, 2008, 07:09 PM
    And I'm not sure what a dhcp is? Sorry
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jul 3, 2008, 09:13 PM
    What it sounds like is your router(the box that comcast gave you) has only one IP address to assign. An IP address is like a phone number for your computer and it costs your isp to give out more than one. There are two ways to fix this.

1. Reboot the router when you switch the cable. This will reset the router and cause it to resend the ip address to what ever device is plugged in.
    2. Go to your local computer store and get something like this Belkin - Wireless-N Wireless Router with 4-Port Switch - F5D8233-4 This allows you to assign private ip address so that you can have multiple devices working at the same time. Follow the setup that comes with it should be pretty straight forward with the directions included.
    twilcox Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Jul 4, 2008, 12:25 AM
    Micheal's solution is a good one that will usually work. It's never a bad idea to pick up a router when you have more than one computer. The modem that the cable company gives you then communicates with the router, and the router communicates with all your devices. This will save you the hassle of having to unplug one to plug in the other.

To power down the modem, simply unplug it at the device itself and wait about 10 - 15 seconds. This is usually sufficient to let it completely cycle through. I just had a crazy thought. Are you using a networking cable or a USB cable to connect the modem to your laptop?

Example of an Ethernet Cable
    Example of a USB A/B cable

I ask this because if you're using the USB cable to connect your computer to your modem, you really do need to power cycle the modem each time you switch computers. Also, you need to make sure that you have all the software that came with your modem installed on both computers. If you're connected via Ethernet, you don't need any drivers for your modem, but if it's USB, then you have to have the drivers installed for it to work properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Limited or no connectivity on laptop [ 1 Answers ]

I recently have gotten high speed comcast internet in my home and it works great on my home computer, but when I try to hook it up (by taking the ethernet cord out of my comp and plugging it into my laptop) to my laptop (Dell latitude d600), an error message pops up saying that there is limited or...

My laptop has limited or no connectivity. [ 3 Answers ]

When I try to connect to my modem. (AT&T DSL) I have two desktops running fine from my NetGear router. (it's capable of being wireless but I have it hardwired to all three PCs) I'm pretty sure it has something to do with IP addresses and recognizing the modem, (and then the router, once the...

Limited or No Connectivity on Laptop [ 10 Answers ]

I am having trouble connecting to the internet on my LAN. :confused: The connection states that there is limited or no connectivity. I am wondering if anyone can help me fix this. I have Windows XP. When I try to repair the connection it says that it is unable to renew the IP address. Here is the...

Limited or No Connectivity on Laptop [ 4 Answers ]

My laptop has limited or no connectivity when I try to connect it with my usual connection although it has FULL Signal Strength. However when it is able to connect to this "default" connection that I cannot access from my own room, it works - with really low Signal Strength. I really need this...

Laptop - Limited or No connectivity [ 14 Answers ]

Hello. I am so frustrated I think my eyeballs will explode. I am a computer novice so I will just tell you all that I know. My computer is the main one which in turn connects my brothers computer to the internet but I am now having trouble connecting my Laptop. So at the moment, 2 out of 3...

View more questions Search