Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Setting up a salt water tank
    Kae, I hope this gets to you. I have recently acquired a 55 gallon long tank and hubby would like to set up a salt water tank. We don't have filters yet, nor do we have lights. Only the tank and the stand.

Can you please walk me through this?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 10:33 PM
    Sure can! Would be happy to!
    Has your husband mentioned what kind of set up he'd like?
    Fish only, live rock (what I have), reef?
    Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 10:42 PM
    He's going back and forth now from salt to fresh. But I know he was thinking of reef.
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 11:33 PM
    The pros to fresh water is that it's quicker and less expensive to set up.
    The cons, it's not a salt water reef LOL

The pros to salt water reef, a gorgeous aquarium.
    The cons, expensive to set up.

The lighting is pricey, however you can affordable build or have someone build a canopy top for your aquarium and install a ballast for the lighting system it will need.
    That's what I did, and it's a money saving option.

I'm not sure how the reef is priced, but it's probably per pound like the rock.

Those would be the two biggest expenses, totaling more than all the other equipment cost combined.
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2008, 04:05 PM
    You've had fresh water tanks in the past if I remember correctly so here's a list
    Of equipment for saltwater setups that's different than freshwater.
    Canister filter
    Protein skimmer
    Power head
    Hydrometer

For the lighting, you can build your own canopy top to install the light system in.
    There are free DIY aquarium canopy top (and cabinet stand) building instructions online and
    It will cost a fraction of the price.
    I did this and really saved a lot of money, some people don't like canopy tops but it's always an option.

As far as mixing the salt & water and maintenance goes, It's really not that difficult at all.
    Most peoples concerns are about nitrate levels & water changes and acclimation processes for fish and invertebrates in newly set up aquariums.
    But it's one of those things, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

If your husband wants to go marine, 55 gallons is a great size for it, and they are so nice,
    Especially reef, those tanks are gorgeous.

Of course freshwater can be just as nice if he decides to go that route,
    I love my freshwater tanks, I was just joking above because of the big differences.

Do you have any particular questions about anything?
    If or when you do, just let me know and I'd be happy to see if I could answer them for you.

Be careful of what you read online as well, some of the info about marine tanks is incorrect, and some borderline.

Hope you and your family have a happy 4th of July!
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Kae,

We have decided to go with a tropical tank with ciclids. We have 3 fish at the moment, some kind of parrot fish, and oscar, and a pike. We have had the fish for about 24 hours. The water is already getting cloudy. Is this normal?
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Yes, very normal. Being that it's only been 24 hours,
    The cloudiness is more than likely due to a high ammonia level caused by fish waste.
    Welcome to the cycling process:)

Have you added anything to the water?
    Expert

Jul 16, 2008, 07:58 AM
    I'm not sure if he has added anything to the water. Hubby has been doing this while I have been at work. LOL

Will the cloudiness go away on it's own? What do we have to do from here?

You say a high ammonia level due to fish waste, will that happen with only 3 small fish in a 55 gallon long tank?
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 11:32 PM
    Yes, ammonia will build up in the water because the tank has not cycled yet.
    This early on there is no beneficial bacteria built up in the aquarium and filters
    To break down waste and toxins.

The cloudiness will go away on it's own as the tank cycles.
    It's caused by ammonia and bacterial blooms (good bacterial blooms)
    I wrote a sticky that explains the aquarium cycle, but please let me know if
    You have any questions about it.

You can either cycle the natural way and allow the good bacteria to develop on its own which takes about 4 to 6 weeks.
    You have hardy fish and if they're healthy they should do fine.
    A few partial water changes a week will help remove some of the toxins building up in the water so that it's easier on the fish.
    Any more work could do more harm than good unless you notice your fish stressing, then a bit more water will need to be changed more often.

Another option is to use bottled bacteria.
    It's added to the water and cycles the aquarium quickly w/o all the hassle of water changes.
    Cycle by Nutrafin is my #1 choice for bottled bacteria and a product called stress zime is the absolute worst.

I use to cycle naturally until I discovered that using the bottled stuff really worked and took away all the frustration.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water pressure against tank height and tank water capacity [ 5 Answers ]

Normally the head pressure of water is .433 pounds per foot of head. Is there any change in pressure by changing the tank water capacity. e.g. if two tanks of 50ft height having water capacity of one is 10,000 gallons and other one has 20,000 gallons. What will be the water pressure difference...

Water softener doesn't use any salt [ 1 Answers ]

My water softener runs but never uses any salt. Any ideas as to the problem? Thanks

Salt level in fish tank [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone tell me what the salt level should be in my freshwater fish tank Thanks, Kari

Describe a fresh water or salt water life zone within or adjacent to the rain forest [ 2 Answers ]

Describe a fresh water or salt water life zone in the rain forest

Boiling salt in water [ 2 Answers ]

When you added NaCl in water , you notice that when the water boils over,it causes the flame of the gas burner to turn bright orange. My question is, how would you explaine the appearance of the color in the flame ?

View more questions Search