Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qwerty12 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Trying to wire a 3 speed, 4 wire ceiling fan switch
    I am trying to wire a 3 speed 4 wire ceiling fan switch for an Aloha Breeze 52" ceiling fan. The original fan switch fell apart when I tried to see how it was connected. I have to connect black (hot wire), grey, orange and purple wires to the switch (L,1,2,3). The orange and purple wires come from a small box with a third wire (red) that go to wall switches (one regular switch and one dimmer switch). The grey wire goes to the fan direction switch. How can I wire this to work? Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 05:34 PM
    How many wires did the old switch have?

Jul 2, 2008, 06:31 PM
    The old switch had slots for four wires.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 09:56 PM
    I don't have a set for those colors. Try black in L, grey in 1, and the other two in the other slots and see how close that gets you.

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

Jul 3, 2008, 06:42 AM
    No luck with that combination.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Well you will have to keep trying combinations until you find it, unless you contact Aloha breeze and they can tell you.

Aloha Breeze fans are junk anyway, I'd replace it.

Jul 14, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Here is the bottom line to fix the problem. First of all, Aloha fans basically are not junk. That is, once they are assembled properly. Seems they don't tighten the fan switch on assembly and if you don't check this before installing the fan - you get problems with the fan switch falling apart. DUH! Come on Aloha, assemble the fans properly. Second, if you want to fix the fan don't buy fan switches and capacitors locally --- call the 800 number for Aloha and they will send you the parts -- guess what -- FREE. I replaced the capacitor and the switch and wired it to their directions and VIOLA, it works! (Wires yellow and purple to the capacitor 1--yellow, 2 -- purple. 3 -- black (hot) and L -- grey (to the fan direction switch for up/down air flow). Thanks for everyone's help!
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Aloha Breeze are horrible junk fans, working or not.

I will post the color combination you suggested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 speed, 4 wire ceiling fan pull chain switch replacement [ 20 Answers ]

I recently changed the 3 speed 4 wire switch on a ceiling fan as the old one had a broken collar. I purchased a replacement at Lowe's. The replacement worked at high speed only. I was careful in noting which color wires went into slots 1,2, 3 & L. Thinking that the new switch was defective, I...

3-speed fan control switch wire connection [ 23 Answers ]

Inside housing case are two boxes. One box has #1,2,3,and letter L. The other box has 1 red wire glued in silicone. There are two cords running into housing case. A gray cord coming from fan's motor with 5 wires: White,yellow,blue,gray,green w/white stripe. A black cord (two prong plug) with...

Replacing a 3-wire, 2-speed switch [ 4 Answers ]

The fan in the fume hood above my stove is broken. I believe it's the switch so I need to replace it. The whole kitchen is over 35 years old, though and the fan is a dynavent. I believe the switch is soldered and don't know how to undo it to see the wiring of the switch. The switch is a...

4-wire ceiling fan switch [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know the correct way to connect a 4-wire ceiling fan switch. I have a black,blue,yellow and purple color wire. My switch has L 1 2 3 . Please help. Thanks

Ceilin fan speed switch with 8 wire connections [ 3 Answers ]

How to connect a fan switch with 8 feed-in correctly if previous owner had wired incorrectly? I could not find any information that could help me so far. I have been experimenting with the wires but I am afraid I might hurt the box with 5 wires that is obviously important.:confused:

View more questions Search