Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whatsbest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Working for husband to be
    My fiancée and I have been together for over seven years. We have a child together who is almost 3. I have a great job. Good money. Great benefits and perks. He has a great job, great benefits and travels a lot.

Q: over the past few years, he's been asking me to quit my job and work for him as his assistant.

I've been doing administrative work since forever. I love what I do and I do it well. I have no doubt if I were to work with him, he could be more productive with his time. He's great at what he does, he just isn't very good at the administrative duties.

I have two mothers, birth and step. Both of whom have always raised me never to "depend" on anyone for financial support. If I were to go and work for my husband to be, what legal documentation should I have, if any. Should we create an LLC and him pay me a salary? What if we were to split years down the road? Would I just basically be S.O.L?

Any advice you could give would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 02:36 PM
    If you are not paid a regular salary then I would not do this. You also need to be paid as an employee with taxes taken out vs an independent contractor (self employed) status or you will be hit with a lot of taxes. If you two do part down the road, then at least you had your taxes and SS and medicare taxes paid. There are several ways to work it out and the LLC is probably your best bet right now. I also agree with mom(s) in their thinking. Right now in this economy if you can hold onto your job until things straighten out in this country, I'd keep my job and help him on the side (paid of course) as much as possible to help him get ahead. Until you are married, you have no say in a financial way with his company or any monetary gain from your contribution unless it is in writing and you are deemed a partner, etc. Is he self employed or works for a company, you didn't say.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 03:17 PM
    I would say, no, love him, be his partner in marriage, but don't let him be your boss at work, it wll lead to him trying to be boss at home and if problems at home ( we all have them) they follow you to work.

Keep your independence to a point.

If you do it, make sure you have a set pay, and get a paycheck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat and Air not working on Attic unit, but blower working. [ 1 Answers ]

The blower is working fine on our Heating and Air Conditioning unit but neither the Air or Heat will work. The emergency Heat works fine though. The unit is a Carrier with the words American Standard written on the outside fan unit. What should I look for before calling a tech or what would this be...

Previously working electrical outlets stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone A wall of electrical outlets in my kitchen just stopped working. They were working just fine about a month ago. I tried checking the circuit box, and turning the circuits on/off just to make sure anything that has been tripped was turned on back again. But it didn't work for the...

Coping with a husband who is no longer working [ 4 Answers ]

Hello 3 years ago my husband stopped working and aside from voluntary work, he has not worked since. As time goes by, I am finding it hard to cope with a husband who is not working as well as a full-time job. Aside from leaving him, and I do not really want to do this, what else can I do?

Getting my husband working papers [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my husband where just married about a month ago. He is from England and here on a J-1 student visa. We really need for both of us to be working, right now we are living with my parents and going crazy. I have downloaded the packet of forms that we need to file and have mostly filled them...

View more questions Search