Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hhaider Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Miniature Schnauzer, 7 months old, never drinks, tiny
    Breed: Miniature Schnauzer

I'm pretty worried about this little puppy. He's 7 months and the runt of the litter his mom bore. His 4 siblings are all about 4 times his size. As far as we can tell this has been since birth. He was actually not the smallest puppy, but his sister soon outgrow him. He may have been sick when this started but that was after he left us and after he was off milk. He eats okay but he doesn't drink water. We gave all but the one girl away to friends. Now this one's come back from our friend for a week or two in the hope that being w/his mom and sister who drink normally might help him.

Consequently he is tiny, his coat is dry and coarse. Also, he seems quite hyperactive. Can't get him to sit still. His paws are oversized now for his body.

I'm an American living in Seoul, so there is the language barrier for me when we take him to the vet. We took him to a vet here in South Korea who, as far as I can tell from the translation, said he has a thyroid and renal problem. They did a couple expensive blood tests. The stuff I can find online seems to suggest thyroid and renal problems would be most often suggested by weight GAIN or drinking TOO MUCH water, though, so that doesn't seem to make sense to me. He also said there were no drugs or treatments for the problem the puppy has.

Any light you can shed on this would be really appreciated.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 07:18 AM
    It sounds like a thyroid problem to me. If that's it, you can treat it be giving supplemental thyroid hormones. However, if it is combined with renal problems, you may just be delaying the inevitable. Can you find another vet, or have a friend who is fluent in Korean go with to interpret for you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A mini schnauzer that doesn't bark! [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help answer me. I have a 9mth old Mini Schnauzer and he has never barked. He can do a whine but not a bark.:(

Any info for a 2 month old mini schnauzer? [ 2 Answers ]

I brought home a new edition to my family, a 2 month old mini schnauzer. She is the only pet I have and all she does is sleep and hasn't ate at all since I got her from the pet store. Should I be worried? She does play for a little while and potty's OK, just need to know if this is normal for her...

Potty problems with my Miniature Schnauzer [ 19 Answers ]

I am hoping someone might be able to help solve some problems I am having with our new puppy. Finzi is 14 weeks old, and we just got him a week ago. He is a product of a puppy mill, and for whatever reason, the pet stores passed on him and we got him from a rescue society. Finzi is...

Miniature schnauzer [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, I happen to have an odd situation that I hope someone here will be able to help me with. I have a 5 month old miniature schnauzer. At least 4 or 5 times a day this odd sound comes out of him. I want to describe it as a sort of purring sound. He does it at any given time, and I have no idea...

Tiny tiny bumps [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I am a virgin and have never done anything more than kissing.. I am only 15. I have kissed a person who is sexually active which is why I am worrying about this so much, that's was five months ago I would say. I was just browsing YouTube and stumbled across a herpes film. I got worried...

View more questions Search