Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell 1111 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Hep test
    I am going out my mind with worry. My boyfriend has recently had some blood tests. An crp and esr which I understand is to detect inflammation. He also has had an u&e (kidneys) and ltf (liver) test. He went back to the doctors where he was told he had high potassium and has to have another u&e and ltf blood test but also a hep test. I am pregnant that's why I am worried. Now I know I haven't got hep b as you get tested for that during pregnancy and all my other tests have come back fine. But I am worried about hep c! We have never used drugs but I understand you can get it from sexual intercourse. I am convinced he and poss me has hep c now, cause why would the doctor test him if he didn't think that was the case
    ?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 06:47 AM
    He could be testing him for other liver diseases such as cirrhosis of the liver for example. Hep C is not the only illness that effects the liver. Apparently his liver is not functioning properly and the doc needs to find out why. But don't freak out over Hep C yet. It could be a number of other things.

Oh, yeah, Hep C is not only transmitted through intercourse. There are other ways you can get it. Such as tattoos that are not done under sterile procedures.
    nuclear_sugar Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 07:01 AM
    The one thing you need to remember is that a test is just that. They are seeing if there is a problem. It's not an automatic sentence! And like the person above said, Hep C isn't the only liver disease.
    I had a baby just 2 years ago, and I KNOW how scary tests can be. I had an HIV test come back with a positive result, and they had to do further testing. I had to wait for several months until I could take the test again (that's how they do those tests), and I was pregnant!! All I could think about was my baby, and bringing her into this world infected... OH IT WAS AWFUL. BUT my next test came back negative, and I learned that it was just a false positive with the first test. It was horrifying, but in the end, I learned that just having to take that test doesn't mean that you HAVE something. It will be OK... keep us updated.

Jul 2, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_sugar
    The one thing you need to remember is that a test is just that. They are seeing if there is a problem. It's not an automatic sentence! And like the person above said, Hep C isn't the only liver disease.
    I had a baby just 2 years ago, and I KNOW how scary tests can be. I had an HIV test come back with a positive result, and they had to do further testing. I had to wait for several months until I could take the test again (that's how they do those tests), and I was pregnant!!! All I could think about was my baby, and bringing her into this world infected...OH IT WAS AWFUL. BUT my next test came back negative, and I learned that it was just a false positive with the first test. It was horrifying, but in the end, I learned that just having to take that test doesn't mean that you HAVE something. It will be ok...keep us updated.
    Thanks Nuclear Sugar! I have done nothing but worry since being pregnant. All other blood tests came out fine but now this has come up with my boyf I am worrying again. Thanks for your reassurance. That must have been awful for you while you were pregnant. Glad all turned out well. Will keep you posted

Jul 2, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    He could be testing him for other liver diseases such as cirrhosis of the liver for example. Hep C is not the only illness that effects the liver. Apparently his liver is not functioning properly and the doc needs to find out why. But don't freak out over Hep C yet. It could be a number of other things.

Oh, yeah, Hep C is not only transmitted through intercourse. There are other ways you can get it. Such as tattoos that are not done under sterile procedures.
    Thanks J9. I only saw U&E, LTF and Hepitius on the blood test bag so...

Jul 7, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shell 1111
    Thanks J9. I only saw U&E, LTF and Hepitius on the blood test bag so...............

Do you reckon the doctor would call my byf if test results came back postitive even if he had an appointment in a couple of weeks time?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 7, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Typically the doctor will not call unless there is something unusual about the tests, or something that warrants more tests or attention.

Unless the results came back serious enough, a couple weeks is fine to wait for the scheduled appointment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Positive home test,inconclusive docs test [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, can anyone tell me if this has happened to them, I've already had a miscarriage and a stillbirth so I'm very worried, I done a home pregnancy test and it came back posative, 2 days later I handed a sample of urine into the docs, theyphoned me to say I would need to hand in another in 7...

EtG test (80 hour Alcohol test) - Drink Friday will it be there on Tuesday/Wednesday? [ 21 Answers ]

I drank a few pitchers and a couple shots on Friday. I will either have to test on Tuesday or Wednesday. Wednesday is a must, but I could get called for random on Tuesday!? :confused: :eek:

Late period, 1 negative test 1 positive test [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 6 months. Previously I lost a baby at 7 months pregnant... looong story... anyway I conceived last time on Clomid. I began Clomid again last month. I am a day late, I took 1 test Sunday (2 days before missed period) it was a faint...

Test Device 2 Test Inside Wiring w/o Phone [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a small (max 5cmX5cmx5cm), inexpensive test device or card on the market that I can use to test my phone line at the NID without using a telephone? This is important as I have a cordless.

Negative pregnant test and blood test. Could I still be pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

I had an ectopic pregnancy in October 2006, and have been trying to conceive since January 07, I am 1week late for my period and have had many signs of pregnancy, including spotting a week before my period was due, since then I have had 5 negative home pregnancy tests, and a hcg level of below 1.5...

View more questions Search