Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grammarian-Bot Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Jul 2, 2008, 12:06 AM
    Is this piracy
    Assume if I own a forum where I discuss a certain show(s) (prison break, o'reilly show) as soon as it's latest episode is aired and for instance I am also making some money through it; so would that be considered piracy/crime of some kind?

GB
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 2, 2008, 12:08 AM
    Not at all.

Why do you think this could possibly be piracy ?
    Thomcollects Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Jul 7, 2008, 07:46 PM
    As long as you are not using any footage of the episode or copywritten images, go for it. I'd love to see your business plan! How do you make money?

Jul 9, 2008, 10:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomcollects
    As long as you are not using any footage of the episode or copywritten images, go for it. I'd love to see your business plan! How do you make money?

Well if using footage is piracy then what about all those thousands, if not millions, of vids on YouTube. Isn't that piracy?? :confused:

GB
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2008, 11:21 AM
    I know there is certain copy write laws etc... plus permission to air music but if your not showing, as has already been stated footage then you will be OK,

If this is purley for discussion basis then fine but if your not 100% sure then don't.

I don't know how it works in the states, but over here you tube has had many liable cases against them.. known as infringement of rights.

Be sure and check it out legally
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammarian-Bot
    Well if using footage is piracy then what about all those thousands, if not millions, of vids on youtube. Isn't that piracy????:confused:

GB
    Let the people hosting the videos take the heat, you could link to them without a problem... until they get removed then you have dead links.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2008, 05:40 PM
    And that is why Utube is currently in the middle of a multimillion dollar law suit.

Sep 7, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Let the people hosting the videos take the heat, you could link to them without a problem...until they get removed then you have dead links.
    And what if I make vidcaps of certain programs? That would definitely be piracy.
    But what if I am operating the business from another country(and my business/brand is also registered in that country) say Pakistan or India or Malaysia and not US where some broadcasting company is registered. How do they proceed with the lawsuit?

GB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Economics of piracy? [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to start doing my undergraduate economics honors thesis. I want to write something about the relationship of piracy with economics. However, I am confused on what things to look at. My thesis should include something with econometrics. I don't know what variables to look. Please help...

Windows Piracy [ 2 Answers ]

My Operating System is Windows XP Professional but I think it's a pirated software. What are the disadvantages of a pirated Windows XP? Is this the reason why Warcraft III: Frozen Throne won't work? (see my other question). PS: It had worked before I patched it.:confused: :mad: BTW: I am not...

View more questions Search