Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thedivasworld Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 11:00 PM
    virus on the computer
    Hello Everyone

I have a Virus on my computer. I am running XP Media Center, with a wireless network that I put together myself and was very surprised that it worked. But now I have a Virus and is not able to get on line or able to us my restore disk.

Please HELP ME, I just don't know what to do. I have comcast cable and was using the mcafee suite that came with the cable.

Thanks,
    DiVa !
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2008, 11:35 PM
    Hopefully, others will also be along to address your question. But, in the meantime, I would like to share with you one way that worked for me a long time ago when I knew that I had a virus on my computer.

I figured out when the problems started occurring and did a search in my computer for any files that had been created or modified on the date the problems started to happen. I found the virus in some separate folders that were newly created by the virus. I then used a free product to erase the virus. It's called Eraser. That product is described and also available on the following links.

PNPI Software Tools: Eraser 5.8

Eraser | Heidi - changing project geography for the Better

It really did work! And, maybe searching for the virus and then trying what I have suggested to do might also work for you. But, I do know that it also might not work, but may be worth a try. There are many, many types of computer viruses. It may take specific measures to deal with any particular one type.

As I mentioned earlier, hopefully, others will also be along to address your question. I'm sure that one of the questions that might be asked of you is: "What is your computer doing that makes you think that you have a virus?" It's possible that what you think are the symptoms of a virus may be something else entirely. Don't know...

By the way, I use AVG Free Edition for my virus protection. It has served me really well! You do need to keep updating its database, every so often. But, that doesn't take very long. Also, you need to update the whole, free program once a year.

Avg Free Edition is available on the following site, in case you are interested. AVG Free - Download antivirus and antispyware software for Windows XP and Vista
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 11:11 PM
    Do you have the name of virus? Did you get a virus warning message?
    thedivasworld Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2008, 12:09 AM
    Hello Seahwk,

I believe it said it was a VUNDO, I think this is how its spelled.
    I had to unplug and shut down that system. It started to act weird, it gave me a new desk top, and some kind of skull charcter when I turm on the system.
    This was the main system I had plugged into my cable + router + vonage. I have another system in my daughters room using usb linksys. I have replaced the infected computer, using a very old notebook so we are able to have internet in the other room. This is something that I just sat up, there is no security, I believe its called wep or something.
    When this first occurred I did a scan using Mcafee, and it claimed it was either removed or quaranteed. Then the virsuses kept adding up the last time I can remember there were about 181 on the system, so I shut it down, and tried to restore the system through XP, that did not work, so I tried to restore it using the software CDs that came with the system and it would not let me input any information. I just don't know what to do at this point. It is just over a year old, and the warranty is over.
    Would appreciate any help.
    Thanks,
    Diva !
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 3, 2008, 06:33 AM
    VUNDO - from Wiki
    Vundo infects victims' computers by exploiting a vulnerability in Sun Java 1.5 and earlier versions. Many of the popups advertise programs including (but not limited to) Sysprotect, Storage Protector, AntiSpywareMaster, and WinFixer. It attaches to the system using bogus Browser Helper Objects and DLL files attached to Winlogon and Explorer.exe.

As the virus is resident in memory and attached to Explorer.Exe and Winlogon, they must be stopped before trying to remove the virus. Without Winlogon, there is no way to reboot the PC, so a forced reboot is needed, as when Winlogon re-starts, the virus files are recreated. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera are affected by this trojan, but Apple Safari seems to be unaffected by the Trojan's .dll file.

REMOVAL METHODS:
    Vundo randomly hides itself in DLL files meaning no basic method will work. Period. You need a tool that will search every file on your computer and try to locate the trojan horse wherever it is hiding.

Try VundoFix by Atribune

This is aimed specifically at your trojan horse. Follow the instructions on that site exactly. If your removal process fails, they want to know about it and provide a method of feedback for you to interact with them if more needs to be done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Large font on computer? Do I have a virus? [ 2 Answers ]

The desktop of my computer suddenly showed my icons and lettering in very large font, and everything is kind of fuzzy. I checked the to see if It was changed in appearance and themes and it is normal. Is this a virus.

Virus in computer [ 7 Answers ]

My brother has a gateway laptop computer, and it has a virus, I don't know how to clean it out. Is there any software that I can use to get ride of the virus? What can I do to get the virus out! Thanks

Virus on computer [ 3 Answers ]

How do I delete viruses on my computer?

I think I have a Computer virus but it won't go away. [ 9 Answers ]

I've just recently gotten a virus (I'll call it a virus because I don't know all of the terms to use). Every time I run a scan with ad-aware (SE personal), I find new cirtical objects. I've tried keeping them in quarentine, and also deleting the quarentine file. Every time I turn my computer back...

Computer Virus [ 4 Answers ]

I have a trojan on my PC called generic.cd it is in the file icc.dll in Windows. I am using McAfee anti virus software. The trojan cannot be cleaned and the file cannot be deleted. I have quarantened the trojan but when I rescan the PC it has returned. I tried the McAfee online help but without...

View more questions Search