Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Squigette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Housebreaking my puppy
    I need a few tips on how to train my puupy, do's and donts so if anyone can help please let me know I have a black lab
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Here's a site I found that may help;

Housebreaking a Dog or Puppy

One thing to remember, patience, he's a dog and must be trained in human ways. Yelling, screaming and hitting will not help and will actually do more harm. Show and teach him what you expect.

Good luck, I hope the site helps. ;)
    rcremsing Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 1, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Take your puppy out frequently to "potty". Whenever it does go praise it and reward with loves. Whenever it goes in the hose tell it no and then take it out to "potty" Tell the dog what it needs to do:"GO POTTY" it will quickly associate the word potty with going out and going to the bathroom. Take all food and water away at least 2 hours prior to you going to bed to help avoid accidents. Once it is trained thius won't be necessary anymore. Keep the dog calm. Only work with it when its calm. Hope this helps.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 2, 2008, 02:51 AM
    Just a few tips are to tale the puppies water away a few hours before you put him to bed so it will minimize accidents, and before you take him for a drive in the car.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 9, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Oh how you need patience! I thought for sure that my dog would NEVER be potty trained.It literally seemed IMPOSSIBLE.But,eventually, he got it! And I was one happy mama:)

Take the pup out frequently.Pups pee and poop like there is no tomorrow.You would wonder where the heck all of it was coming from! Keep night time feeding no later than 6 pm and keep tabs on the water intake as well.

I was being awoken at 2 in the morning every morning until I kept the bowl of water up after 6 pm and only let my pup take a few licks before bed and that was it.From then on out he slept until I woke up.

Make sure you take it out before you go to bed and when you wake up.Puppy pads for me was a waste of money.It didn't work for any of my dogs.

When he does make a boo boo in the house don't get too upset enough to traumatize and DON'T rub his nose in it.Simply take him to the potty spot and say with a firm voice "NO" or "NO POTTY IN THE HOUSE" and take him outside and tell him to potty outside.Leave him out for about 5 minutes.

Repeat as necessary.It is extremely frustrating but don't lose patience and just know that he will get it soon enough!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Housebreaking a puppy? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an affenpinscher who is almost 1 year old. He is not housebroken. Can you give me any help besides crate training and confinement because it doesn't work. Thanks in advance and have an awsome day? :)

Yorkie puppy housebreaking getting worse, not better [ 14 Answers ]

I adopted a 6-month-old Yorkie puppy last month, and am having a really hard time housebreaking him. He was kept in a pen before I owned him, and I'm sure got used to eliminating whenever he needed to. I've had him for about 4 weeks now and this most recent week has been by far the worst. What am I...

Housebreaking a puppy [ 1 Answers ]

How do you housebreak a puppy when you work all day every day?

Housebreaking a choc. Lab puppy [ 5 Answers ]

Hey everyone. I just recently got a new chocolate lab puppy. She is about 9 1/2 weeks old right now. I also have a 2 year old female choc. Lab. When I got my first lab she was already 12 weeks old so it only took us a few days to housebreak her. But I've had the new puppy for almost 2 weeks now and...

Need advice on housebreaking a puppy [ 2 Answers ]

My Chihuahua puppy is almost six months old. House breaking has been going pretty well until this week when he discovered how to lift his leg to urinate. Now he is going in the house instead of outside. I have confined him to the kitchen and he goes out every hour. I caught him in the act a few...

View more questions Search