Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crankinator Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Building solar panels
    I hope this is the best area to ask this... I want to learn how to build my own small solar panels. I seem to recall running across a plan to do so in a magazine a few years ago, but cannot for the life of me remember where I read it. Does anyone know how to do this? I'm wanting to build something that, at the least, could possibly run a small water heater. I know that there are numerous products out there for ready made solar heaters, but I would rather make my own and save $$$$. Thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2008, 05:24 PM
    The voltage/current from solar cells to power a water heater would be large, It may be better to heat the water with the sun(lot of copper tubing painted black)or other method on the roof will be more efficient, problem is by morning, it will have cooled.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 1, 2008, 05:37 PM
    First of all, solar panels are expensive because they have to be manufactured in a clean room. As soon as someone figures out how to make them under standard conditions, they'll be about a fourth as expensive. If you wanted to make your own solar panel for electrical generation, it would probably end up as more of a science experiment than anything else and would probably not put out much power.

However, if you want to use solar power to heat water, that is possible, and relatively easy. Solar heaters don't convert the sunlight to electricity then power the water boiler with it. The simplest one runs a series of black tubes on the roof that will absorb sunlight and heat the water which is then circulated through the boiler. That way, the boiler doesn't have to work as hard to heat the water to the same hot temperature it did before.

There are other systems that use something like a solar panel to accomplish the same thing. If you know anything about thermodynamics, it is called a heat exchanger. It works the same way as the radiator in an apartment does. I've found a lot of stuff on do it yourself solar water heaters through Google searches, you can probably find some more good information there. Good luck.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2008, 07:59 PM
    smokedetector:

Solar panels and/or solar cells DO NOT have to be manufactured in a clean room, but the process can be expensive. GE has a plant that I toured that manufactures solar cells from waste Integrated circuit material.

Crystaline silicon is so expensive because it has to be grown and that takes time, then it has to be cut which wastes material.

Doping can be done in an oven and the contacts are screen printed.

I've synthsized and grown other semiconductor materials and it's a long process. A few days to react the materials without an explosion and a week or so to grow the material. "Grow" is defined as solidify very very slowly, hopefully on a seed crystal. Then it has to be sliced with a diamond wire saw.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I run my air conditioner with solar panels [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all! I live in sunny Puerto Rico and I am interested in installing solar (photovoltaic) panels to run the house; however, no one is able to tell me how to operate our a/c. I understand the issue with the high energy demand when the compressor kicks in, but how do I overcome it? With...

Wind generator or solar panels? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, we flooded our basement because of power outage and the sump pump stopped. I was thinking of having a battery generator (either 600w or 1500w that has an outlet so I can connect the outlet of the sump pump to it) I don't have any clue how long the battery will last so I thought I will...

Solar Heating Panels [ 1 Answers ]

What would be the most efficencent heat raiser, Black screen?

Solar cells [ 1 Answers ]

I was flicking through the TV the other day and stopped on a science show that was talking about a new kind of solar cell,one that also absorbes infrared light . Has anyone heard of this breakthrough?and if so please tell me who is making these strides.Because being able to use the infrared would...

View more questions Search