Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heyfaye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Who owns the house
    A married couple buys a house together and only his name is on the records and he dies or they divorce will she get half of the house
    ttara81 Posts: 161, Reputation: 9

Jul 1, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Did this person have a will? Or is the wife the power of attorney for the husband? It may depend upon those factors. If the man has a will and wills the estate or certain items to someone, then the items should go to whomever is stated in the will to receive them upon death.

Now if it's a divorce... idk...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 05:02 PM
    If they divorce, the divorce court will decide who owns it, also what state they live in can make a difference ( community property states,) also was home bought after they were married.

At the death, if there is no will, wife does have some rights to inherit ( are there kids? ) if there is a will, that can effect who gets it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who owns ! [ 4 Answers ]

How fast can a home sell if the owner falls behind on a few morage payments? And can I still be living in the home that they sold, if its not mine anymore?

Son owns house, mom lives there; won't get financing OR move! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question: My husband bought a house in 1997, completely on his own - The mortgage / deed / taxes are all in his name ONLY. His mother was supposed to get her credit straightened out and get financing to get the house out of his name. It is now 11 years later, and she will not get off...

Boyfriend will not move out.My mother owns the house! [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend won't move out... My Mother owns the house, and we live in one of the apartments... he has been telling me that she cannot evict him without evicting me also... which doesn't make much sense to me at all! There is no lease, we pay month to month (since I'm family and all). So what I'm...

Who Owns House Now that Ex-Spouse Died? [ 3 Answers ]

1. Fifteen years ago when I divorced my husband, I signed a Quit Claim Deed. 2. He refinanced and paid me off. Last year, he paid off that refinance loan and went into a reverse mortgage agreement. 2. Our son (25 years old) lived in the house with his father, my ex-husband. 2. My...

View more questions Search