Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Duecey93 Posts: 207, Reputation: 3

Jul 1, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Deleting Java 6 updates
    Is it safe for me to delete the older versions ( versions 2 and 3 ) of Java TM 6 Updates? In the program "Add or Remove Programs" on my PC there is Java 6 update 2,3, and 5.
    :confused:
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 11:24 AM
    What makes you want to try this?

Jul 1, 2008, 02:51 PM
    To free up memory space.
    Software Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Hard drive space, or memory?

Jul 1, 2008, 03:04 PM
    I guess memory space; I just figured if I could I would get rid of some unnecessary software on my PC and this was the only unnecessary thing to get rid of that I was unsure about.
    Software Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 03:12 PM
    To free up computer memory, streamline your boot process and don't let all those programs load up little pieces of themselves.

START > RUN > msconfig

On the startup tab, UNCHECK all the things that DON'T need to be running just because the computer is on. Java probably loaded a little helper program, uncheck it. Realplayer, Quicktime, Itunes, Google, there is so much in there unneeded it's nuts.

Leave checks on the programs having to do with your system hardware or firewall or virus checker software. Notice on the pic below, I have little checked. There are 50 other entries in there I've disabled.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

XP updates [ 2 Answers ]

My comp. will not load update kb898461, or WMP 11. Any ideas?

Updates [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: I woke up to an icon that told me I needed to update something to do with Logiteck. K. That could be my mouse or my cam, or maybe even something else. So, I did it. How would I even determine IF the update request came from Logiteck? Could it be a trojan horse? Could it be from...

Do I need multiple Java updates? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to clear some stuff off my computer to make more room. I came across these two installed programs: 1. J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10 2. J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2 My question is would update 10 superseed or include any previous updates or does it stand alone...

Updates [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem. I ran the windows update and got the security update KB826939 and a day or so later I received the same message that this update was needed again. I looked in my installed updates and noticed I have a total of 8 security updates with this same number KB826939.They were all...

View more questions Search