Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Mar 23, 2006, 03:10 PM
    MS DOS prompt screen
    How do you get onto your MS DOS prompt screen on Windows XP? I'm trying to get a dot address for a domain name.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 23, 2006, 03:13 PM
    OK MS DOS doesn't exist in XP, but if you want a command prompt (similar but different) then go Start > run and type CMD.
    Job done ;)

Mar 23, 2006, 03:15 PM
    Thanks!!
    BossMan

Mar 23, 2006, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cgirl
    I'm trying to get a dot address for a domain name.
    What do you mean by this.
    Are yo looking for the site IP address, format 0.0.0.0 ?
    If so then there are a lot of tools online to help with this.
    Here's one FYI is called a DNS lookup.

Mar 23, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Just experimenting with things, like finding out the dot address of a domain name... like whatis.com... 205.245.172.72 where you type ping xxx.yyy in the CMD screen. I'm just trying to increase my knowledge, but thanks for your help! :) that sight you linked me too is good too though, works better for that. Thanks!
    BossMan

Mar 23, 2006, 03:28 PM
    Try TRACERT (Trace Route) to see the route you take to a perticular address.
    It can be quite amazing just how far your request travels.
    BTW the "dot address " is known as the IP (Internet Protocol) Address.

Mar 23, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Wow, that's interesting! Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No dual boot prompt for linux [ 2 Answers ]

I was having windows98 installed on my system(celeron 500MHz processor ,64MB RAM). I recently installed red hat 7.3 on my system.the installation was successful.I used lilo as my boot loader. The problem that I am facing is after starting my system , instead of asking to choose a os(dual...

How to Copy the contents in command prompt? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have given a command in command prompt (say ant) and then it will be executing the files. My question is how to copy that which is in command prompt to a file say notepad. While I am running autobuilder\ant, it will be showing all that in command prompt and the process takes hours. I want...

Yahoo Prompt password [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have enternet explorer v 6.0 and winxp with sp2 with latest update And when I try to login by my Yahoo ID it always promt me enter the password again, or ask me to enter my id and password And when I login to my group and try to see anything it always asking me about my password. This...

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

Pc on, nothing on screen [ 5 Answers ]

My PC turns on, no boot, nothing on screen, help?

View more questions Search