Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 7, 2006, 07:05 AM
    The closest one that has come to being successful in the USA if she runs for president is Hillary Clinton. She seems to have the intellectual ability and emotional stability, to handle the job well. But ironically, she seems not interested in the position. About women not being qualified simply because they are women, I don't by that. People have to be evaluated on an individual basis and not simply because they might belong to a group, be it race, religion, or gender.

In my opinion
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Hilary Clinton isn't interested in running? Someone else in this thread (I think it was Fredg) said she was interested. Which is it? Er, now I'm confused...

Anyway that's too bad if she's not interested, I think she would definitely be a good candidate. And I agree, each person needs to be evaluated individually and not by their gender or other things.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2006, 01:16 PM
    From what I gather from watching CNN (ahh, who am I kidding... Jon Stewart :p), Hilary Clinton is giving mis-messages. I think she is still testing the waters before committing.

Kind of like how Belinda Stronach just spent $30,000 to test the waters to see if she should make a bid to replace Martin. And she chose not to :( I wanted her to take over.
    geraldo2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Apr 25, 2007, 09:08 PM
    I for one think america isn't ready for a female president. I'm not anti-woman but the u.s. is the strongest country in the world and I don't tink women can handle problems like terrorism very well(too emotional).
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 3, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoddessasheni
    How come we never have a girl for a president?

A few have ran... they lost. Didn't get the vote. Thank God
    -

May 4, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoddessasheni
    How come we never have a girl for a president?

Well you had Indira Gandhi in India, Margarrette Thatcher in Great Brittain, Evita Peron in Argentina, Nicaragua had a female president recently and Puerto Rico a female governess--the latter three countries which are supposedly machista in culture. So why not in the USA? Very possibly because the USA male population has been too machista to allow it all these years and is only now coming around to the realization that women can govern as well or even better than men in some cases. In my opinion

The site below has a list of women presidents and prime ministers:

Women Prime Ministers and Presidents: 20th Century
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 4, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Others have posted legitimite reasons for this : electability, finances, etc.

Just because there have been female leaders of OTHER countries does not mean the US HAS TO HAVE a female president now or ever.

We have to have the best PERSON: regardless of gender, religion, race etc. run for president and let the voters/ electoral college decide. If that happens to be a woman, so be it.
    -

May 6, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    Others have posted legitimite reasons for this : electability, finances, etc.

Just because there have been female leaders of OTHER countries does not mean the US HAS TO HAVE a female president now or ever.

We have to have the best PERSON: regardless of gender, religion, race etc., run for president and let the voters/ electoral college decide. If that happens to be a woman, so be it.
    Unfortunately presidential electability is too often influenced negatively by the candidate's gender in this country just as electability is affected by a candidate's ethnicity and race. Whenever the issue of whether a female is qualified or not comes up it isn't her intellectual readiness that's the issue in the USA it's here sex! That gender issue isn't as importannt in other countries--ever wonder why? Hard pill to swallow but that's the truth.

BTW

I didn't say what you are claiming I said about voting for a female just because other countries have. That's entirely YOUR irrational idea--not mine.
    -

May 6, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldo2
    i for one think america isn't ready for a female president. i'm not anti-woman but the u.s. is the strongest country in the world and i don't tink women can handle problems like terrorism very well(too emotional).
    Right! Just look how Margarrete Thattcher fell apart during the Falkland Island's conflict
    And how the queen of England had a nervous breakdown when she heard that the Spanish Armada was coming.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 7, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Unfortunately presidential electability is too often influenced negatively by the candidate's gender in this country just as electability is affected by a candidate's ethnicity and race. Whenever the issue of whether a female is qualified or not comes up it isn't her intellectual readiness that's the issue in the USA it's here sex! That gender issue isn't as importannt in other countries--ever wonder why? Hard pill to swallow but that's the truth.

BTW

I didn't say what you are claiming I said about voting for a female just because other countries have. That's entirely YOUR irrational idea--not mine.

Gender and race are an issue that depends on how each INDIVIDUAL voter perceives it.
    To me it does not matter. To others it is a big deal. Thus some on this thread have pointed out other female heads of state. It seems the general MEDIA MAKES IT AN ISSUE, when in fact, where a candidate stands on various issues, leadership ability, prior accomplishments, intelligence, integrity and character SHOULD be what matters most.

It is completely idiotic to vote for a candidate primarily because they are a female or male, black or white. Why bring up Margaret Thatcher or Indira Gandhi et al.
    #1 They were from different countries - it has no bearing on the US
    #2 Hilary is no Margaret Thatcher , and to assume so because they are the same gender
    Is comparable to assuming I will be the next Michael Jordan because I am male.
    -

May 8, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    Gender and race are an issue that depends on how each INDIVIDUAL voter perceives it.
    To me it does not matter. To others it is a big deal. Thus some on this thread have pointed out other female heads of state. It seems the general MEDIA MAKES IT AN ISSUE, when in fact, where a candidate stands on various issues, leadership ability, prior accomplishments, intelligence, integrity and character SHOULD be what matters most.

It is completely idiotic to vote for a candidate primarily because they are a female or male, black or white. Why bring up Margaret Thatcher or Indira Ghandi et al. ?
    #1 They were from different countries - it has no bearing on the US
    #2 Hilary is no Margaret Thatcher , and to assume so because they are the same gender
    is comparable to assuming I will be the next Michael Jordan because I am male.

Do you really believe that I am saying that all women are like Margaret Thatcher because they are all female? That kind of thinking would require mental retardation.

Why did I bring Margaret Thatcher and Indira Gahndi up? Because I was responding to a person who claimed that women are too emotional to govern a nation. Since he made a generalization concerning women I offered two exceptions to his rule. That's a standard argumentation method--exceptions to the idiotic rules people make in order to show them just how ridiculous their generalizations are.

BTW

Their being from different countries doesn't disqualify these two women as excellent examples for refutation purposes since the person's generalization was referring to all women regardless of race, ethnic membership, or nationality.

Why you would want to restrict my choices is beyond me!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 12:05 PM
    We will eventually once the right one runs. Currently we do not have a woman in the field worthy of being President .:D
    But seriously ;it is only in the last 10-15 years that we have had women in prominent positions in the Executive Branch .

Here is an interesting timeline to see how far women have come in a relatively short time.

1872 Victoria Claflin Woodhull becomes the first woman presidential candidate in the United States when she is nominated by the National Radical Reformers. She had no chance of winning . Women had not even been granted suffrage yet.

1916 Jeannette Rankin, of Montana, is the first woman to be elected to the U.S. House of Representatives.

1922 Rebecca Felton, of Georgia, is appointed to the U.S. Senate to fill a temporary vacancy. The first woman senator, she serves for only two days.

1925 Nellie Tayloe Ross becomes the first woman to serve as governor of a state, in Wyoming. In the fall of 1924 she was elected to succeed her deceased husband, William Bradford Ross.

1932 Hattie Wyatt Caraway, of Arkansas, becomes the first woman elected to the U.S. Senate.

1933 Frances Perkins is appointed secretary of labor by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, making her the first woman member of a presidential cabinet.

1960 Oveta Culp Hobby becomes the first woman to serve as Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare. She is also the first director of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC), and the first woman to receive the U.S. Army Distinguished Service Medal.

1981 Sandra Day O'Connor is appointed by President Reagan to the Supreme Court, making her its first woman justice.

1984 Geraldine Ferraro is the first woman to run for vice-president on a major party ticket.

1993 Janet Reno becomes the first woman U.S. attorney general.

1997 Madeleine Albright is sworn in as U.S. secretary of state. She is the first woman in this position as well as the highest-ranking woman in the United States government.

2005 Condoleezza Rice becomes the first African-American female Secretary of State.

America is ready for the right first Female President .But I emphasis ;it is critical that she gets elected for her qualifications and not just because of her gender.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Whoever is qualified for the position, doesn't matter gender or race! Popularity helps a lot, so does the person's character,contribution and capability.
    I was elected as a female Vice President of a 20,000 student university in the US.
    Give it a try if you really want to do something or make a change to better students' life at school!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bush: The WORST President in History? [ 67 Answers ]

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/profile/story/9961300/the_worst_president_in_history?rnd=1145910812680&has-player=true&version=6.0.8.1024 When Bush's lips are moving, he's lying to us, misleading us, or engaged in Orwellian doublespeak. The willfully blind citizens of this country play...

If you were president [ 9 Answers ]

If you were president what would you do to fix the Untied States problems.

President beliefs [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, so I can't really find anything on what these presidents believed in politicaly, so yeah could u help me out? Name- Political Beliefs- George Washington- _____________ John Adams- _____________ Thomas Jefferson- _____________ James Madison- _____________ James Monroe- _____________...

From congress to US President [ 3 Answers ]

Who was the last person to go from US congress to US President? Thanks in advance Fred :confused:

President vs. Congress [ 0 Answers ]

Should the President or Congress lead the country? Why? Is it possible to have both lead at the same time? If yes, how? If no, why not?

View more questions Search