Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    b581341 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Rotten egg smell
    When I turn the air conditioner on after being off for a day or so I notice a rotten egg smell for the first few minutes the air is on. What is causing this smell?
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 1, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Not sure about the air conditioner, but I know in the winter when we turn on the heater the first day it smells like that. I was told when I was younger it's because all the dust is heating up and letting off that smell. Hope you find your answer.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Your evaporater coin needs a good cleaning,they make several products and can be biught at most furnace a/c distributers or parts houses,,
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Sorry,, evaporater Coil,, not coin
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 09:27 AM
    wmproop is correct. You have dirty socks syndrome. It is a common problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don't know where rotten smell from [ 5 Answers ]

My master bedroom (bathroom?) has this rotten smell that I can't trace to anything. We have a septic tank but all the other bathrooms are fine. I checked the attic and found no dead animal or anything. The smell is sometimes strong sometimes weak. It is not obvious that the smell is from a...

Smell of rotten eggs [ 2 Answers ]

I went to my basement and I discovered a rotten egg smell in the area near my sump pump. The sump only takes away ground water and is not part of a septic system. At first I thought it was a gas leak, however the gas company came out and could not find a leak. Is it possible that the sump is...

Rotten egg smell [ 3 Answers ]

I have well water with a rotten egg smell, from what I am told it could be the anode rod in the hot water heater. I don't have a hot water heater, we have a hot water boiler that is used to heat the house and the potable water, also is the water dangerous due to the smell.

Rotten Egg Smell [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in a brand new home, on city water for one year and everything was fine. We moved out and the house is now empty and up for sale. It has been empty for five months. Sometime during these five months a rotten egg smell has developed when the water is turned on. At first we thought it was...

View more questions Search