Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SOULO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 09:20 PM
    Opening an Account with Minor as Primary & Parent as Secondary
    Is it possible to open an account in my (minor) child's name and me as secondary? And would this shield me from garnishments?

Thanks
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SOULO
    Is it possible to open an account in my (minor) child's name and me as secondary? And would this shield me from garnishments?

Thanks
    You can have a joint account with your minor child, but it will be no help if you are garnished, unless it is funded with 'exempt' income, i.e. social security, workers comp, etc. The account will not be garnished unless you provide a creditor with the name of the bank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Primary vs. Absent Parent [ 4 Answers ]

Does the absent parent have the same rights as a primary parent? Can they do whatever they want with the kids withought your consient? For ex... can they cut the kids hair if you disagree?

Becoming the Primary Parent in a custdoy agreement. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, before I define the question exactly, let me give all the background information so that you the readers have all the comprehensive information you need to give a informed response. My husband of eight years had treated me very poorly in the final two years. He routinely cheated on me,...

Primary signer vs secondary card holder [ 7 Answers ]

I opened a credit card, me being the primary signer, and I basically allowed them to put my girlfirneds NAME onto another credit card, which would be the secondary card holder.. not CO-SIGNER on the credit account.. She made zero chares, and I maxed out the credit card and was unable to pay...

Secondary Drain Line Re-Routed to Primary Line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a newly constructed condo, and it is a construction mess. In particular, there have been numerous leaks from the HVAC secondary drain line (which drains into an interior space), apparently because the HVAC drain lines have no slope. The builder “repaired” the HVAC...

View more questions Search