Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashley568 Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Jun 30, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Trimming dog nails
    My dog's nails are way too long, my fault. I was always afriad to do it myself and she's too big for me to take to vet or groomer often. But I'm okay with trimming them now, so my question is how often should I trim them to get them shorter and how short is too short?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Technically, you trim them when you feel it's necessary, and it really depends on the dog. My dog (long haired chi) requires a trimming every 2 weeks or so.

You want to cut them so that you avoid the dark center in the nail, and give yourself some room. If you're uncomfortable, ask the vet next time you go and I'm sure they can show you.

How To Trim A Dog's Nails, Called a Pedicure, at ThePetCenter.com should help
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 1, 2008, 04:37 AM
    If your dog has darker nails its harder to see the quick which is the dark center in the nail. Its easier however to see the quick if you look on the other side of her nails.
    angel-4460 Posts: 30, Reputation: -2

Jul 1, 2008, 08:58 AM
    I had the SAME problem.. except for my dog is small, so I took her to the vet and he said they were long because I kept her inside too much, and that I should take her for a walk more often so her nails would like, scrape or something, on the side walk
    But, even walking her you still have to trim them, it's kind of scary cause the dog moves a lot, but just don't trim right by the quick and it's okay!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Trimming the front of my house [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to put Hardiboard on the back and the sides of my house, and putting cedar Shakes on the front. I am having a little bit of trouble on the way I should trim it. I am using smart board for all the corners but I don't think I should put smartboard on the front for the shakes. If I don't...

Trimming Doors [ 4 Answers ]

Need to trim 1/2" for new carpet. Doors are yellow pine from 1903 and very hard. Do I want to use a blade with very fine teeth to minimise chipping and splitting?

Trimming Stairs [ 1 Answers ]

Everything I read on trimming a stair case (in oak) they all install the riser first, then the tread. The only reason I can think of for doing this is if you ever need to replace the tread. Is there any other reason? I ask this because out basement stringers were framed with 9" run and 7 1/2"...

Trimming long hair [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone give me instruction to cut long hair (mid-back) with bangs into a layered style with wispy ends?:confused:

View more questions Search