Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amjm60 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Is this a Hippa violation
    We have a boss that when someone calls into the office to tell her they will be out that day due to an illness, let say a migraine. The boss then calls a co-worker in that department as an FYI advising that person will be out, but she also tells the reason so at that point the whole department knows why. Is this a hippa violation? How can I tactfully tell my boss (if I call in) that I prefer the rest of the office now know the reason?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2008, 10:09 AM
    It isn't a hippa violation but if you do not want her to tell everybody maybe the company policies need to be gone over and possibly rewritten.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 30, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Simply state, that I am letting you know why I am ill but I prefer the rest of the staff not know. I don't think it is Hipaa violation but it my be considered a breach of confidence. It's somewhat inappropriate for the supervisor to tell everyone your business. I would imagine if it were something more sensitive that they would use better judgment in sharing the reason why. Your supervisor may not be aware that it is borderline inappropriate. However a migraine is not that sensitive of information. I would recommend just asking him/her not to disclose your symptoms to the other staff when you call in.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Firstly, it is HIPAA, not HIPPA.

Now, do you work in a medical office? To put it in simple terms, HIPAA is like doctor/patient privilege. So, if your doctor is not your healthcare provider, this is not a violation of HIPAA.

I will say though that this is not very good business ethics to tell other employees why one employee is out sick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

HIPPA violation? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a nurse and I work in the home health care setting. A new patient that I visited with asked me for my phone number as I was leaving. He had a list of phone numbers for other nurses and I added mine to it. I am now being accused of a serious HIPPA violation. Is this in fact wrong? Is it a...

Hippa violation? [ 2 Answers ]

A child was crying and carrying on in a dentist's office. A hygienst in the other room who knew the girls family and was good friends with the family called the girl's aunt and said, "you won't believe who is in here carrying on. Your kids are a saint compared to her." Her name was revealed as...

HIPPA violation [ 3 Answers ]

I was in a substance abuse program an one of the emploees told some of her friends and others in the public that I was an addict an also what medications I was being subscribed. So know half my town knows my story. Can I take legal action?

HIPPA violation? [ 4 Answers ]

My former supervisor shared my medical information with another staff member. Specifically, I commented that I could no longer trust her, and she told this man that I was struggling with menopause. I have since learned that she also shared this information with her supervisor (another man). She...

View more questions Search