Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rschrei Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Wage earner has SSN but spouse has ITIN.Stimulus or No Stimulus?
    According to eligablity requirements from the IRS, I as the wage earner who has a valid SSN and 5 children also whm have a valid SSN should be eligible for a Stimulus Payment. However, I filed "Married Joint" and my husband who has only an ITIN was on my return as the secondary. I have only been married for 3 years now and all 5 of my children are from a previous marriage and were all born here in the USA... just like me. So I should have received a "REDUCED PAYMENT" of $2100... however, the IRS just says I was not eligible due to the ITIN used when I filed my taxes. I have searched and search and not been able to find out how to file an appeal or even talk to a live body. I have called the hotline for days in end and never been able to get through. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO NOW? SHOULD I EVEN EXPECT A PAYMENT? Is there a secret BAT CAVE NUMBER I need to call to get to a live body?

Thanks All!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 11:55 AM
    There is no appeal.

Your research mirrors my understanding of the current rules associated with the Stimulus Rebate, which specified that if the return is filed with an ITIN ANYWHERE in the return, then NO stimulus check will be issued.

This rule may be changed, as this has caused some consternation in Congress as unfairly penalizing U.S. citizens who are married to foreign national.

Also, you can file Married Filing Separately for 2008 and get the Stimulus NEXT year if the rule is not changed,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my stimulus after filling joint with my spouse that Has and ITIN? [ 1 Answers ]

I filled my taxes return married filling joint with my spouse that has as ITIN number and because of that did not receive a stimulus refund. Is there anything I can do so that I myself can get a refund.

Tax stimulus [ 2 Answers ]

I have the emerald card from H&R BLOCK will my refund go on there? From the stimulus refund

Stimulus Rebate [ 4 Answers ]

Is it true that F1 visa students with 5+ years in the US and who are residents for tax purposes are still not eligible for economic stimulus rebate? The following answer in Yahoo claims that resident status is based on the restricted/unrestricted work access in the US. Can someone please clarify?...

Wage Earner Laws [ 2 Answers ]

My name is Aretha I live in Douglasville, GA - My questsion is as a single parent of two and a home owner. Regarding - garnishment of monthly income - I was never ordered to court nor did I receive notification by mail. The Garnisher has recently started garnishing more than $400every two...

Stimulus Payments for Married filing Jointly (one with SSN and other with ITIN) [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks all for you help regarding to Federal and State taxes. I have an SSN, but my spouse has a ITIN. Can we both get a payment Stimulated Tax Payment? If not then am I eligible to get Stimulus Payments. We already filed a taxes as married filing jointly. Regards.

View more questions Search