Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peep05 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 06:44 PM
    Debt I don't owe
    I am being harassed by a collection agency for money that I don't owe.

I live in Canada and I was a customer for over 18 years to a well-known "club" that sells music and dvds. I always paid my bills. I was told that I owed them 6.80 (04/18/04) for a dvd. (Apparently, they figured I paid for part of it but not all of it, as it costed 25.00.) Then they added onto my "bill" 2.50 for a late fee on 07/03/05, (according to the collection agency statement). Plus the 101.29 for "breaking the contract agreement".

Well, I always paid with Visa checks, and on my statements there is only a check number. There isn't anywhere that it states who received the check and there isn't anywhere that states exactly what every penny was designated for.

I have no proof that I paid this bill but I know I did.
    This collection agency is harassing me and they are very rude.

I was in a bank on Nov 05 to have my credit checked and was told it was extremely high. I have excellent credit I was told.

What can I do? What can they do to me?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2006, 07:47 PM
    If you ask them to supply you with a complete accounting of your account,

All charges and all money paid, you can match payments with charges and see if you actually paid all the bills.

It is always good to be sure you really don't owe it, and if you can show with cancelled checks that you paid all the fees, they should clear it.

Mar 23, 2006, 09:44 AM
    Like I said, I do not have the cancelled checks as they are Visa checks. You just don't get them back.
    All you see is a long number on your statement. You don't even see who it is to and there is no indication of what you are paying for, i.e. 3.49 for butter, 3.75 for milk, etc.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 10:36 AM
    Glad to know your credit is in good standing. Hard to believe this will change that. But if you haven't gotten credit reports from the 3 bureaus, you should. You can get a free report from each of them once a year.

I believe the proper link is:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

This allows you to moniter your reports, dispute any incorrect info or in dispute info...

If I remember, this will not provide you with a credit rating, just the history on file.

Mar 23, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Hey kp, the link you provided isn't working.

Thanks to everyone for the posts.

Mar 23, 2006, 06:26 PM
    This is it.
    http://hf.annualcreditcheck.com/

Not sure if it is good for Canada or not yet.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2006, 02:41 AM
    Peep05... what province do you live in?

Or rather, what province were you living in April, 2004?

Mar 26, 2006, 10:58 PM
    I live in BC and have for many years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt [ 2 Answers ]

How Many Years :( Is It Before Your Creditors Can't Chase You Anymore For Bad Debt

Debt [ 4 Answers ]

I am 80 y/o with $50000 in credit card debt. I only get $800 social security a month. I am robbing Peter to pay Pay. My health is not well and this adds to my stress. I don't own a home, I live my daughter and her daughter. I have bought a used car in the past year and I am making those payments...

His debt or Ours? [ 2 Answers ]

Prior to getting married, "Dave", bought a house in Missouri. Then we got married in Missouri and have since relocated to Louisiana. If we quit paying on the loan -- will that go against my credit rating or just Dave's?

Who's Debt Is It? [ 3 Answers ]

My -H- and I were married for 21 years. During 99.9% of that time, I didn't work outside the home at his insistance! In fact, he threatened, several times, to divorce me if I got a job due to his fanatical belief in children needing a parent at home and his distrust of day-care. Three years ago,...

Old debt [ 1 Answers ]

I had an old credit card debt from 1999, someone apparently bought my debt and now is suing me in county court what can I do am I legally bound to pay this I am not even sure that I paid it before

View more questions Search