Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    student007 Posts: 60, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2006, 04:42 PM
    eBay
    Let's say I just won my first bid on eBay. What is proper etiquette, normally? Should I pay immediately, or should I wait a few days until I get the product and then pay?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2006, 04:44 PM
    You wont get the product wout paying

Read the sellers terms for payment! They often require/request paymt in a min amt of time.

You'll probably get an email as well

Mar 22, 2006, 05:09 PM
    So then my best bet would be to just pay immediately if I can?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 22, 2006, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by student007
    So then my best bet would be to just pay immediately if i can?
    Simply put, YES.
    When you place a bid on Ebay you are entering into a contract with the seller.
    At the end of the day if you can't pay for an item then you shouldn't be bidding on it in the first place.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2006, 06:32 PM
    Yes, the seller will not send the item unless you pay, so you hve to pay, best to pay using a credit card if possible, or a credit card though pay pal.
    That way if you don't get your item, or it is not like it is suppose to be you have some protection though the credit card.

If using pay pal look for the pay pal protection option if possible.

I buy and sell a lot on eBay and normally there is no problem three times this year I paid and never got the item paid for and twice I got them and a new item was used and the pass word for the program had to be paid for extra from the company since it was already registered.

The other time the books ordered were wet and full of ants ( don't know why, I think shipping but they came regular post, so no way to claim damage.

So about 10 percent of my purchases had a problem, just be careful
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2006, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by student007
    So then my best bet would be to just pay immediately if i can?
    Y E S !

If this is hypothetical, as in what if I win... OK. You could find out this answer and many more at eBay. Read the terms and conditions. Its all there.

If you really did bid and are trying to wait to pay ("if i can") then you should have known better. Yeah... if you screw around and don't pay you'll probably get a negative and some sellers may not want to sell to you...

But also the person who held the auction is paying money to post it. Even if they can repost an item that wasn't claimed it is still time and money.

If a buyer does not pay for an item I'm not sending it. If a buyer wants an item but cannot pay for it Don't BID!

Mar 23, 2006, 08:31 AM
    Ok I got it. What I meant is: I bought an item (which I can afford) and the seller tells me to pay within 12 days of winning. But the item can be shipped in 4 days. What I was asking is - should I wait for the item to reach me (i.e. 4 days) and then pay, or pay right away? But now I figured out that I have to pay right away anyway. Thanks
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 08:41 AM
    That wasn't perfectly clear in your original message, but OK. Now you know.

It'd be nice to pay after you get the item to minimize your financial exposure, but bad for the seller.

If you are worried in the future about purchases you should look for sellers who state a refund policy, pay with a credit card to be able to recoup the expense if its fraud, and look for sellers with good ratings and preferably lots of sales.

Doesn't mean I haven't been the first to buy an item from a new seller with a money order... but you are more nervous about it when the seller has no established selling history and you'd better be willing to risk losing the money.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2006, 08:44 AM
    A seller on eBay will only post the item they are selling upon receiving payment. So if you are paying by cheque, the seller won't post the item until your cheque has cleared.

Otherwise people could be sending off cheques, waiting for the buyer to post the item and then stopping the cheque - preventing the seller from getting paid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2006, 03:42 PM
    The message that it will reach you in 4 days is four days after you have paid them and the money is cleared.

The item will not be shipped until it is paid for. It says "12" days to pay, so basically if you don't pay within the 12 days ( they really expect it in one or two) but incause you are gone or ill, you have 12 days to pay or theywill consider you as having failed to pay, you will be rated as someone who has won and not paid ( making it hard to buy other items)

The faster you pay, the better you will be rated as a buyer.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Mar 24, 2006, 03:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    A seller on eBay will only post the item they are selling upon receiving payment. So if you are paying by cheque, the seller won't post the item until your cheque has cleared.

Otherwise people could be sending off cheques, waiting for the buyer to post the item and then stopping the cheque - preventing the seller from getting paid.
    Spot on the sooner you send the payment for your goods the more quick you will get your stuff ;) Most sellers will send you an invoice as soon as ending and you becoming winning bidder.

If your new to using Ebay, always check the sellers rating and there feed back :) this will help you in the long run.

http://hub.ebay.com/community This link should help you with many questions about Ebay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ebay trouble [ 3 Answers ]

Im having a prob on eBay. I bought an item from some scum bag in Canada, I paid for it. Well, the payment went to his ex-girlfriend because of an error he made, she declined to accept it. The seller then tells me that I have to re-send the money to him, of course this is a big sum of money, and...

Ebay [ 5 Answers ]

I buy a lot of little things I find on Ebay and it got me wondering. Don't these sellers have to pay taxes on these sales? While I buy just a few items, I noticed that at times they are from the same seller, and they have hundreds of item listed. Thank you.

Ebay / IRS [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know if Ebay reports sales records to the IRS?

Does anyone sell on eBay who I could pay to list for me? [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to sell a face cream on eBay. I'd pay for the paypal fee and eBay fees, plus give you a small commission for just listing it for me. If interested, please send me a private message. Thank you!

Ebay... Definition. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I need a clear, simple, generic definition of Ebay in a paragraph or so.. thanks. [email protected] THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help I can't find one anywhere... undefinedundefinedundefined

View more questions Search