Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcdogluv Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 09:27 PM
    5 month puppy threw up!
    My 5 month old puppy threw up today after a walk around the neighborhood(which we do regularly). He ate at around 3pm and the walk was at 8pm. But he seemed totally fine, still running around. But later tonight he threw up white liquid/foam a min after barking at his reflection in the mirror (which I don't know if has anything to do w/the throwing up). We've been feeding him the same food (purina beneful) and same treats. One thing I did notice though was that he has been pooping less recently. Again, I don't know if that has anything to do w/that either.. could be just him getting older. I did some research online and some said its normal for puppies to throw up as they do so easily... but some are saying it could be virus. I'm kind of worried! But I don't want to take him to the vet if it's actually not that big of a deal. Sorry for such a long description. But any advice would be really really appreciated!!
    dog31743 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Had He Had Anything To Drink Just Prior To Throwing Up? Was The Liquid Similar To Saliva?
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Jun 29, 2008, 09:42 PM
    White or yellow foam is normal on an empty stomach, as is a dog occasionally vomiting. It could have been the heat, drinking water too fast upon your return, eating grass, or just an upset tummy. As long as he continues to eat, drink pee and poop, I do not think you have anything to worry about. If the vomiting continues or other symptoms arise you might want to call the vet tomorrow.

Jun 29, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Thanks for the quick response! Yes... he had a tad bit of water after he came back from the walk.. which he usually does. But no water after that. The vomit after walk was light orange with really really chomped up pieces of food in it. The second vomit was white liquid with bubbles and there was clear liquid too (its gross I know)... so I guess could be kind of like saliva

Jun 29, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Thanks teachnk! I'll def keep an eye on him. Hopefully it won't continue...

Jun 29, 2008, 09:54 PM
    Sounds Like He May Have Either Drank The Water Too Fast Or It Was Too Cold. A Lot Of Dogs Throw Up After Drinking Water, But It Is Usually Like A Clear Or Foamy Saliva. However Puppys Can Through Up At Any Time With Ant Results. If It Is Not Projectile Or Continues, Or Bloody I Wouldn't Worry About It. My Alpha Female Throws Up Almost Every Time She Drinks. From Doing It To Fast. Good Luck, Just Keep An Eye On It For A Few Days But It Sounds Normal For A Puppy.

Jul 1, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Thanks for all the help! He hasn't thrown up since then so I guess it's all good. But he coughed once today and when we were walking him... every now and then when he was tugging on th leash(we are still in the process of training him not to)... his throat would sound a little weird... like about to cough but not completely. I was wondering if that could be due to him throwing up earlier which could've irritated his throat maybe? But other than that, he acts completely normal.

Jul 1, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Are You Using A Collar Or A Harness To Walk Him?

Jul 3, 2008, 02:20 PM
    A collar.. the cloth kind. People at petsmart suggested it to us the first day we got our puppy and we'd been using it since w/o any problems. So I don't know why all of a sudden he acts like he's choking or something when it never bothered him before. :confused:

Jul 3, 2008, 03:25 PM
    You Might Think About A Harness. They Do Not Touch The Throat And Are Almost Impossible To Slip Out Of. That Way You Have Complete Control Of The Dog Without Restricting His Throat. So Often A Collar Can Be Slipped Off With The Leash And You End Up With A Dog That Gets Injured Or Killed By Traffic Or Another Dog. If He Continues To Cough Or Choke While In A Halter Or Free At Home Have Him Checked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 5 month old puppy won't eat [ 1 Answers ]

My 5 month old lab mix is not enthusiastic about eating anymore. He will eat his food but need coaxing to do so. He is growing new teeth and I am not sure if that is the cause. His energy, bathroom visits and general demeaner are all regular and he has been checked by the vet and is in good...

4 month old puppy [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 4 month old lab/border collie who won't eat her whole body is cold ex:( cept her head and she is puking up white foamy stuff it looks almost grey what could be wrong with her

3 month old puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a puppy who is three months old she will not drink,eat, or poop and she has lost three pounds AT LEAST. We took her to the vet twice already and she has been on three different antibiotics. She is Not running a fever. She has been sick for a month and the last three days have been the worst...

My 4 month old Lab puppy won't eat [ 5 Answers ]

My 4 months old Lab won't eat his dog food. This has been happening over the past 3 weeks and we have taken him to the vet, who doesn't know why he isn't eating. He has an appetite and will eat treats and pretty much anything BUT his puppy chow. We even bought Iams (he was getting purina puppy...

View more questions Search