Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kitties3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 05:04 PM
    DNA test, merged several posts
    Conception took place in PA, the mother was a resident of PA; the father was a resident of NJ. The adult child, now living in OR wishes to establish the father's paternity; the father is now living in FL. What court would have jurisdiction over such a case?

Is an adoption legal if the father does not know about the adoption? The adoption took place in Alaska.

My son is now an adult. The father denied paternity. I didn't pursue paternity testing because the man threatened me. Can I now request a paternity test? Currently, I live in Alaska, the father lives in Florida; the child was conceived in PA and now lives in Oregon. If it is not too late where would I have to have the testing done?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 05:09 PM
    None, normally a adult child is not allowed to go to court to prove paternity. They will need to try and get the other person to agree to the test on their own. If at the time of death, there is a issue about probate, they may request one at that point.
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Depends, if the court made an attempt to contact you and could not find you, and they did a legal posting to notify you, it is possible that the adoption will be considered legal,

If they forged your name or did not try and contact you, it may be illegal.
    You will need to hire an attorney to review the paper work
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 05:46 PM
    How old is the son, if he is still 18 or 19 you may be able to go back for a few years of child support, but once the person is grown there is no longer legal standing to determine paternity, the boy ( now man) and just ask the other person to let them see if they are.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2008, 05:47 PM
    What purpose would this serve?

Jun 29, 2008, 06:01 PM
    If the father's whereabouts were unknown and a reasonable effort was made to contact him, then yes, the adoption could be legal. What constitutes a resonable effort may vary from area to area. The efforts made to contact the father should be part of the court record.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitties3
    My son is now an adult. The father denied paternity. I didn't pursue paternity testing because the man threatened me. Can I now request a paternity test? Currently, I live in Alaska, the father lives in Florida; the child was conceived in PA and now lives in Oregon. if it is not too late where would I have to have the testing done?

Why would you want to do this? You can't do paternity testing on the father if he won't consent and I don't, quite frankly, know why he would unless this is his idea.

If your son is an adult I can't imagine any Family Court Judge ordering him to undergo paternity testing - people have difficulty getting an Order for DNA when it's a life-threatening medical emergency. I can't imagine DNA testing being ordered for no specific purpose when the "child" is, in fact, an adult.
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitties3
    Conception took place in PA, the mother was a resident of PA; the father was a resident of NJ. The adult child, now living in OR wishes to establish the father's paternity; the father is now living in FL. what court would have jurisdiction over such a case?

Posting the same scenario 3 times, each time with different or more details, is confusing and takes a lot of time away from answering other questions. I don't know why you would post once in law, once in family law - and the question about adoption in real estate law - ?

I know I just put some time into answering one of your other posts and now I find out the way I read it - or you presented it - is not exactly the situation.

Why don't you post your concerns, your question, the facts and give us a fighting chance at getting it right - once.
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 08:27 PM
    You have asked three separate questions, Please do not keep starting a new thread, if you have additional info, just add it as a answer to your own question.

I have merged all of the posts, I hope it makes sense

Jul 2, 2008, 06:27 AM
    First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

You also don't seem to understand how this site works. Sometimes we need more information to give you the best answer. We asked you for such info and your response was to give unfairly negative comments.

The way the questions are now merged it hard to figure out which question I responded to. But to try and help you (though you really don't deserve it), the son should get an attorney to file the petititon for for paternity testing. The attorney will know where to file. Most likely, the son files in OR and if the father wants to fight he can request a move to FL courts.

The second question I did answer in what is now response #6.

But this still begs the question of what purpose it would serve to establish paternity at this point. If you can answer that we can advise whether its worth pursuing.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 07:13 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post kitties3 disagrees: if you read the first question correctly, i wouldn't have had to re-phrase it..[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you just posted once instead of three times, with the same "facts" each time and didn't post DNA questions in the real estate forum some of us would have a fighting chance at providing the correct answer.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Hello k:

Well, now that you've dissed my friends, I spose you're stuck with me. I don't think they're going to help you any more.

So, why don't you tell me WHAT exactly you're trying to DO with this paternity established?? It's not just to hang on his wall, is it? He/YOU ain't going to get child support.

Does the father have a lot of money?? What?? You can tell me...

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Court ordered visitation [ 3 Answers ]

I have refused to keep my child. She is 15 years old. My ex-husband went to court and got some kind of court orders for me to have visitation. The orders state that I was sent a letter for this hearing I never received such a letter. Do I have to follow these orders to visit my child if I do not...

What do you do when the court ordered supevisor does not follow court order? [ 8 Answers ]

My children have been having supervised visits every other weekend on sat for one hour. This started in late August. The judge granted supervised visit's for the father every fri night and sat afternoon for one hour each. The father said he only wanted every other weekend to the supervisor, so...

Court ordered Mediation vs Court Trial [ 4 Answers ]

Hello again, I'm going into a mediation next month concerning a past credit card debt that I am being sued for. I plan on using the SOL defense as the date of last activity falls past the statute date. Anyhow, I was wondering what the difference between a Court ordered mediation and a normal...

Court ordered visitation [ 51 Answers ]

Can the mother of my child make it so that my parents cannot pick up my child for the time till I get home from work? Court order states that I get him for a mid week visit.

Court ordered compensation. [ 12 Answers ]

Well... I have a question about the way to collect court ordedred compensation.Let's allow that there is a court ordered compensation $80000 and this compensation has to be paid in 3 years according to the court decision/$2223 per month/.The debtor has about $2500 income per month but he is...

View more questions Search