Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asmadeus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Nemesis and planet X
    I would like to know more about Sol's twin(?) named Nemesis and planet X, which is supposed to orbit between Nemesis and Sol. Is there any proof that they exist? Where are they supposed to be located? What is the length of orbit of planet X supposed to be?
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 30, 2008, 12:01 AM
    There are a few astronomers who think this 2nd sun is around, possibly with another planet, but they are in the minority. One fact on their side is that most solar systems seem to be binary. The period is supposed to be tens of thousands of years, maybe more. I read an articl on it not too long ago. I'll see if I can find it...
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 30, 2008, 01:18 AM
    I couldn't find the article but you made me curious. I found 2 sites that had interesting info on them: Hypothetical Planets
    SPACE.com -- Nemesis: Does the Sun Have a 'Companion'?

Seems I was a bit of on the period. It's more like 30 million years. If Nemesis exists.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jul 3, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Here is a credible website that discusses "Planet X:"

Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions: Planet X

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Exo Planet [ 11 Answers ]

I read in the newspaper, that we have a new planet. Could you tell me more about this? That is if you heard this.

Planet X? [ 3 Answers ]

I've come across a site, www.zetatalk.com, which talks about the passage of a planet known as the 12th planet, and is referred to as "Planet X" in other places. What's the deal about it?

Mass of planet [ 1 Answers ]

Captain Kirk and spock are sitting on an uncharted planet whose diameter is 2400 km. but whose mass is not. If the normally 95 kg Kirk is found to weight 105 N on this planet, what is the mass of the planet?

Unique Planet [ 5 Answers ]

Why we will say that our earth is a unique planet ?

Is it a planet? [ 2 Answers ]

Right now(4:00AM) in Wyoming, in the north eastern part of the sky, just above the horizon there is a HUGE bright star that seems to pulsate(twinkle) When I first saw it I thought it was a UFO! It is very prominent in the sky. Does anyone know if this is a planet or just a very large star? Okay...

View more questions Search