Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Onewoman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2006, 08:46 AM
    Wireless Routers - Complete Novice Here!
    Hi :) All this new technology gives me brain ache! So I would really appreciate the help of someone who understands about wireless routers and networks as I know practically nothing.

Our main computer is a Sony Vaio laptop with XP professional, service pack 2. This computer belongs to work (though we keep it at home) and is on the work network with god knows how many other computers, hundreds probably. We have NTL broadband on this puter.

My daughter has another computer in her room ( I think it has windows 98 on it). We would like for her to be able to share the NTL internet connection and have been told by NTL the only way is to have a wireless router.

My questions are: What kind of router do I need to get? How do I know if I also need to get a network adapter card? Which bit goes to which computer? Will it work as one of the computers is already on another network?

Thanks to anyone who has time to answer any of these questions!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 22, 2006, 08:58 AM
    First, check the OS on the daugther's laptop. If it is Win 98 you may have a problem with wireless. Many wireless routers require new versions of Windows.

Second, I'm not sure why they say you need a wireless router. I'm assuming here, that you have an NTL Broadband modem in the house that is currently connected directly to the Vaio. You should be able to use either a wired or wireless router depending on whether you want to run an Ethernet cable to where the daughter's PC is. If her OS is older you might want to consider that.

You WILL need to have a network adapter card for the other PC. Its possible it already has one. To check look on the back for a jack that looks like an overgrown telephone jack. You should have a similar jack on the Vaio where the Broadband modem connects to it. However that jack is only for a wired connection. So if you want to use wireless, you will need a wireless network adaopter.

Once you make the decision as to wired/wireless you then need to get the router. There are many such routers on the market. They are usually called broadband routers. Your NTL modem will connect to the router and you will connect the PCs to the router, either wired or wirelessly. Most wireless routers include 4 wired ports as well.

If you go wireless, the remote PC will then need to be configured to connect to the router. Since you only want to share the Internet and not allow the daughter's PC to connect to the work PC, the setup is a little easier.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Mar 22, 2006, 11:49 AM
    In addition to Scott's contribution, as you are on NTL broadband, make sure you get a Cable router and not an ADSL router. This doesn't affect whether it is wired or wireless. If you buy from a high street shop, just tell them you use NTL and they should direct you towards the "cable" versions.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    In addition to Scott's contribution, as you are on NTL broadband, make sure you get a Cable router and not an ADSL router. This doesn't affect whether it is wired or wireless. If you buy from a high street shop, just tell them you use NTL and they should direct you towards the "cable" versions.
    Actually, as I understand it and have set up many times, the customer already has a DSL or Cable modem, they simply plug their Ethernet cable into a generic router.

For Scott: just an FYI, I have had my Dell PIII Win98 on my wireless network. I got the proper Win98 drivers for my PCcard and I was on my way.

Mar 22, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Need, ADSL routers don't work with Modems as they don't accept ethernet Wan ports.

I am on a NTL connection and all I have is an ethernet cable coming from my Set top box (integral modem). You can also have a cable modem directly if you don't have a set top box but the result is the same - you NEED a cable router and not an ADSL router.
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Must be a UK specific thing, sorry. Here in North America you receive your modem from your high-speed internet provider then you can get any broadband router you like whether you are on cable or DSL. Sorry for the confusion.

Mar 22, 2006, 12:50 PM
    Stu,
    Thanks for that. It must be a UK thing because in the US all you need is a "broadband" router. They work with both DSL and Cable connections.

Need,
    I remember looking at the boxes of some wireless NICs where Win 98 wasn't listed as supported. So I think some of them don't support it.

Mar 23, 2006, 01:58 AM
    Many Thanks to Scott, Stu and NeedKarma!:) I have read your answers several times and think I am beginning to understand! I checked my daughters PC and it does have windows 98. Also it has a Realtek PCI fast ethernet NIC listed in the network adapters. IS this card OK for wireless routing? If I have to get a new network adapter card will I have to pay someone to fit it inside the computer or does it just plug in somewhere?

Yes the Vaio is connected to an NTL broadband modem, but not by ethernet.

Thanks again guys for sharing your knowledge!
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 05:20 AM
    That is a network interface card that is designed for ethernet cables not for wireless. For my Win98 laptop I got a PCcard that supports Windows 98, here is an example of one from an online retailer:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2635&CatId=367

Mar 23, 2006, 06:40 AM
    As Need said that's not a wireless card. So if you need to run it wireless (and I would still look at running an Ethernet cable to it), you will need to replace the card. And you will need to make sure its one that supports Win 98. So try the link Need gave you.

There are USB NICs but I don't know if they support Win 98. So you may have to get an internal which means installing it inside your PC. Not too hard a task.

How is the Vaio connected to the NTL modem if not by Ethernet? Does it have an Ethernet port on it? That might limit your choices of routers.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 23, 2006, 07:33 AM
    OK for your router, This is the type of box you want.
    You can run an ethernet cable from the NTL modem straight into the router and then go from there.
    As has been suggested earlier you'll possibly need a wireless card (PCI) for the Win98 Box. I wouldn't use USB as it does get on very well with Win98.
    You could, if you really want to, just run a length of Ethernet cable to the network card that it already has.

Now your Vaio should have on board wireless already, if not you can just run it on an ethernet cable. Now IF you have a half way decent IT dept this will work straight off, using the router to issue you an IP address (DHCP server). If not Linksys has excellent instructions on how to set everything up.

Hope this helps.
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 07:43 AM
    Ben,
    About the router: I've been down that road before in this thread but apparently things are different in the UK:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...439#post103439
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 23, 2006, 07:53 AM
    NK, yep.
    For us, cable, in this case NTL, supply the modem so the router doesn't need to have a one. Yes you can use the same with an ADSL setup, but when you can get routers that have them in built why bother.
    I can see exactly where you are coming from, I think it just may help slightly have some details to view.

Mar 23, 2006, 11:51 AM
    Just to clarify the earlier discussion I had with NeedKarma, in the uk you normally get either a Cable router (ethernet internet port - no adsl int port) or an ADSL router (adsl internet port - no eth int port). Curlyben's suggested router actually has both input connections on it so you can use either - nice choice but unusual.

As a rule the router replaces the modem and you just have a single device which connects to the network.

Most uk Broadband modems (that I have ever seen) use USB to connect to the PC and therefore cannot be plugged into a cable router (which is how you guys across the pond do it as I understand this). That's why we replace the modem with a combined router/modem device.

Hope this helps clarify the situation in blighty! :)
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Stu - that router is one of the most popular broadband routers in North America. Here it is at Futureshop in Canada, and here at Staples. I don't see any other type of ports in the product that Ben links to . It basically is your standard broadband router that we all use here.

Mar 23, 2006, 12:16 PM
    Some US available BB routers do accept both USB and Ethernet inputs, but most are designed to connect to the modem via Ethernet. We do have some models that combine the modem as well so that they have a F type coax connector.

If I understand what Stu is saying, DSL modems in the UK don't connect to the PC via Ethernet. So when someone wants to add a router, they get a combo modem/router.

Mar 23, 2006, 12:54 PM
    Need,

"lets your whole network share a high-speed cable or DSL Internet connection."

That's on the bottom of the first paragraph on Ben's link, it refers to the two available WAN connection types. You don't need a modem with this product as it is inbuilt - the phone line (rj11) or ethernet (rj45) will plug directly in.

Scott,

Spot on, the USB ADSL modems are basically surplus to requirements when you get a router.

Mar 23, 2006, 12:57 PM
    OK - my bad, I just checked the specs again. It doesn't include the rj11 port - misreading the description.

This one is only good for Cable internet in the uk sorry for any confusion. See our problem in the uk with the usb adsl modems?
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    See our problem in the uk with the usb adsl modems?
    Yep but I'm smarter for having been in this thread. Thanks for your patience with me.

Mar 24, 2006, 01:18 AM
    Ok, I think a hole in the ceiling and running a cable is the way to go! Then I won't have to replace the network card in daughters PC, right? (Even though it has windows 98 on it, the PC has been put together recently and the network card is new.)

As far as the NTL modem goes, you know when you install it you get to choose either ethernet set up or cable set up. I chose cable. Do I now need to set it up with ethernet? I have been trying to get a picture in my head of how things will look when all set up. Let me know if this is right>

Vaio >>> Ethernet cable >>> Modem >>> Some kind of cable >>> Router >>> Ethernet cable >>> Network Adapter in daughters PC

Thanks so much for everyone's input! A lot is going over my head but I think I am getting educated!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless Routers [ 7 Answers ]

Im trying to find the best type of wirless routers and there price. Is there a site that reviews them simply? And easily? Or can someone recommend the brand worth getting. We need it to go through out our house. I already have broadband internet, however I want it so others in the house can...

Animation for novice? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a novice at this but it would be great if someone could tell me about any animation software that a novice could start using as an introduction. It would be great if the software comes with a guide (well, a helpful one). Thanks again. Cheers to this community!

ISDN and Routers [ 6 Answers ]

Here's my problem. I have an older Cisco 1003 ISDN router setup for one of my software suppliers to access a server on my network. It only allows access to one IP address, the box they support. Now I need to change the routing table to allow access to two other IP's for remote desktop...

Novice questions... [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, thanks much for your input. While I'mhere I have a few other questions. 1)how high should outlets be roughed in off an unfinished floor? 2)switches? Does code dictate how many outlets I can have on my 15 amp outlet circuit for my attic conversion? I want 12. They obviously...

A timing belt question(novice please help) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am going to buy a 93 civic from a big dealer and now the mechanis are doing the safety checking. I asked them to check the timing belt, I wonder if they can find out if timing belt has been changed by last owner. And I checked the history of the car It has been done for lots of vehicle...

View more questions Search