Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Mar 24, 2006, 01:51 AM
    The simplest solution would be:

NTL Cable -> Cable router (new) -> Vaio and Daughters PC (one cable each)

As it seems you use a cable modem currently, my experience is of the set top box situation and not necessarily the same. But with my system I set it up on the Ethernet (not USB cable as you have).

Then I had to copy my pc's MAC address and put this into the router's configuration (then NTl still thought it was talking to my PC and not a router)

Unless you get a better answer, I would suggest re-configuring the internet connection using an ethernet cable to your vaio from the existing modem. Once that is working, find out your Vaio's MAC address and enter it into the router's identity. Then setup your system as shown above.

Hope this helps!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 24, 2006, 02:15 AM
    What you are trying to do is this:

Modem >>> Router >>> Viao/Win98

When I had an NTL connection I had no problems with this kind of setup, the manual that comes with the router will give you all the information you need.
    I didn't have to make any changes as Stu suggested, but that maybe just a quirk of running Broadband from the set top box.

Hehehe I really should read previous answers better, I feel like an Echo now :(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2006, 04:21 AM
    Yes, I would agree running a cable, if feasible is a better option.

The sequence is this:

Modem>>>Router>>>Ethernet Cable>>>>PCs

As Stu indicated, the Router may have to replace the modem as a combined device if there is no Ethernet (RJ45) jack on the modem.

As for the setup you refer to that seems unique to NTL. Any routers I've setup didn't have that question.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Mar 24, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Onewoman, As Ben has had experience with your kind of NTL connection I would do as he (& everyone else :) ) suggests.

(ignore my rantings about MAC addresses - I think it must be a set top box thing)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 24, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Stu & Scott, NTL cable modems can be connected by either RJ45 or USB ;)
    A lot of subscribers tend to use the USB connectio and it seems easier, just like a printer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless Routers [ 7 Answers ]

Im trying to find the best type of wirless routers and there price. Is there a site that reviews them simply? And easily? Or can someone recommend the brand worth getting. We need it to go through out our house. I already have broadband internet, however I want it so others in the house can...

Animation for novice? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a novice at this but it would be great if someone could tell me about any animation software that a novice could start using as an introduction. It would be great if the software comes with a guide (well, a helpful one). Thanks again. Cheers to this community!

ISDN and Routers [ 6 Answers ]

Here's my problem. I have an older Cisco 1003 ISDN router setup for one of my software suppliers to access a server on my network. It only allows access to one IP address, the box they support. Now I need to change the routing table to allow access to two other IP's for remote desktop...

Novice questions... [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, thanks much for your input. While I'mhere I have a few other questions. 1)how high should outlets be roughed in off an unfinished floor? 2)switches? Does code dictate how many outlets I can have on my 15 amp outlet circuit for my attic conversion? I want 12. They obviously...

A timing belt question(novice please help) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am going to buy a 93 civic from a big dealer and now the mechanis are doing the safety checking. I asked them to check the timing belt, I wonder if they can find out if timing belt has been changed by last owner. And I checked the history of the car It has been done for lots of vehicle...

View more questions Search