Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twshelley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Inviting Stepfamily to Child's events
    Hi, My husband and I have been together for eleven years, married for the past two. My three children, now 16, 18, & 20 have known their stepfamily since they were 4, 6, & 8. They would attend some of the stepfamily's events, but not all. They did visit their biological father on weekends, so it made it hard for them to attend all get togethers. (And they have something, even a small get-together every weekend.) My question is should I invite the stepfamily to the graduation party of my 18 year old? They invite me to every event that they have. And now that my two oldest girls are sort of adults, they have also been invited to the last bridal shower/wedding. I go to baby showers, christenings, confirmations, bridal showers, weddings, etc. for even his cousin's children. His "extended family" consists of approximately 80 people at this point. My husband does not want his "extended family" invited; he states that it's like holding your hand out for a gift. Do you agree? Should his family be invited or not?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2008, 07:41 AM
    If they invite you all the time and the 18 yr old gets along good with them I do not see a problem in inviting them. If you do not invite people because you do not want to make it look like you have a hand out for a gift then they could feel like ''all the times we invited them and now look they could not invite us! "
    You can make it clear about not wanting gifts.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 12:02 PM
    You leave it up to the 18 year that is graduating as to if they would like to invite their extended family or not. So if they want to just for the gift, that is their business not yours or if they would really like them there that is OK to. On some matters the who comes to the party should be left to the person who the party is for

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My friend keeps inviting herself. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so I don't even know why I am asking this question on here, I guess I am venting more so. But I have this friend let's call her Sarah. We used to work together and knew each other just as work buddies. The when she left the job, we started hanging out socially more happy hours, I would invite...

Dinner Party Etiquette - guests inviting more guests! [ 24 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having a small dinner party with family members. A month ago I sent out an email invitation to the all the family living near by, total of 12 guests. Now, 3 days before the party one of the family members has invited 6 more people to my party, 4 are family from out of town, 2 are dates. ...

How to Change child's last name [ 2 Answers ]

My son was born 5 years ago. His father wasn't there to sign the birth certificate. How can I change my son's last name to my married name and have my ex to sign over his rights? He doesn't see our son and our son has said on a number of times he doesn't want to see his biological father anymore....

Weddings-Semi-Eloping, Only inviting the father and not the mother? [ 1 Answers ]

If anyone has been in the situation where the bride's parents are divorced and the father and mother absolutely hate each other. The bride is close to her father and has a very shaky relationship with her over dramatic mother. We've decided to semi-elope and invite only those very close to us...

Friend inviting a other friends on a vacation [ 7 Answers ]

I am going to a Family girls reunion weekend for my husband's family and have asked my long time friend to come with me. She is excited to go because she joined me last year and it was fun. This year she wants mutual friends to come with us as well. I feel uncomfortable bringing a whole...

View more questions Search