Jun 29, 2008, 01:43 AM
    How to lighten red colour to match the wall paint
    I have a room painted in red
    I used what I thought was the same red paint to touch up
    However it is much darker and has left big marks
    How can I lighten the red colour ?
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2008, 02:00 AM
    You probably would have the best luck priming over the spots with KILZ or a pigmented sealer. Give it a couple of coats. After it's dry cover it with the red that matches. You may need to mix your own touch up paint and test it in an spot hidden by a picture or something. Start light and darken the color a tad at a time. Then paint over the test spots.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 01:40 PM
    I agree with westnlas regarding the Kilz primer. You can scrap off some of your red paint and take it to a paint store for them to match. You may have actually used the correct red paint but the original walls may have faded, that's why the new red appears darker.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jun 30, 2008, 07:24 AM
    If it was a spot that you patched, the paint probably looks darker at the patch because it needs another coat. That is why your being told to prime the spots first, which is a good idea. If it still doesn't match after priming, painting the whole wall will probably be faster than trying to get the paint to match.
    zulficar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 01:01 AM
    Fix spot halogen lamps to the wall and keep on isde of the wall white

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Colour can I paint my basement walls with a Mocha couch [ 5 Answers ]

I'm Paniting my Basement walls and I want to know what would be the perfect colour to go with my Mocha couch

How do I lighten my skin colour [ 1 Answers ]

I would very much appreciate it if someone could advise me on this. I suffered from severe acne as a teenager and used some various strong chemicals to treat my problem for quite some time. Over the years I have noticed that the skin colour on my face has turned dull and darker than the rest of my...

What colour should I paint wall next to brick fireplace? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a fairly large floor to ceiling "new-used" brick fireplace, cream-coloured venetians that we can't afford to replace, and a brick/burgundy, yellow, navy & teal plaid chesterfield. We think the right colour would tie the room together. The problem: what colour? The woman at the paint store...

Exterior Paint colour [ 1 Answers ]

We have a red brick house, the garage, front door and window trim is white. We want to paint the garage and front door a different colour can you suggest a few colours-I want the garage a different colour than the front door.

Paint from the same can but look different on the wall [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Can paint from the same can look different on the wall. I juste painted my office with a semi-gloss paint (I think.. it looks sheen). Few weeks later I have to touch up some part of the wall, so I used the paint that was left. But this time the paint looked flat not glossy like the rest of the...

View more questions Search