Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rahul Chandra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 11:45 PM
    Kidney creatinine rise from 1 to 1.4, then1.7? Rescue how?
    My mother is diabetic. Her sugar levels are usually near 150 but these days near 250.

Her s creatinine levels has risen from 1 to 1.4 to 1.7 in last 2 months.

I want her to be perfectly OK. She doesn't walk much . Most of the house work is done by by wife only.

What shouold be done to recover kidney completely.

Regards
    Rahul Chandra
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2008, 11:53 PM
    Ideally, she would find a way to bring her blood sugar down closer to her old 150. A sugar of 250 may feel normal to her now but the excess sugar can harden the tiny capillaries in the kidney, damaging them. Damage lowers the kidney's function, hence the heightened creatinine level.

She should see her physician and get a blood sugar test that measures what her blood sugar has been doing over time. I can't remember the whole name of the test, just A-1C. A nutritional consultation may give her some new ideas to liven up her diet.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahul Chandra
    My mother is diabetic. her sugar levels are usually near 150 but these days near 250.

her s creatinine levels has risen from 1 to 1.4 to 1.7 in last 2 months.

i want her to be perfectly ok. she doesnt walk much . most of the house work is done by by wife only.

what shouold be done to recover kidney completely.

Regards
    Rahul Chandra

Hello Rahul,

Obviously any rise in sugar will be of concern... you don't say if your Mum is type1, insulin controlled diabetese or perhaps being a senior citizen she may be type 2 which is tablet controlled diabetese.

However if her diabetes is food controlled, then it is very explainable why her sugar may have risen.Depending on what she eats and when she eats, this will cause the levels to go up and down... this is natural and OK, as long as you know why your sugar is reading higher... eg. Perhaps you had a special tea or you went out for a meal... well, yes of course your levels will rise but they will eventually come down again, which is fine.

The problem arises if they are consistently high, and there is no apparent reason.

IT may be adjusting her insulin or reviewing the tablets she takes or her diet in general.

Also if she is on other medication that can affect her sugar levels.. eg tablets used for lowering colesteral...

Stress, not sleeping can also be factors.

Any exercise is better than none, so if possible and if physically able it may be a good idea to allow her to maybe do a little dusting occasionally,which will also aid her circulation.

I don't know where you live,but usually your Mum would have been appionted a diabetic nurse and doctor for any difficulties or worries that you may be experiencing so why not make an appointment just for your Mum to have a general check up ,this will out your mind at ease.

Lastly' check that the monitor your Mum uses for her blood glucose testing is functioning OK, sometimes the batteries get low which will give a variety of wrong readings .

Takecare
    Holistic Doctor Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Apr 3, 2009, 08:10 PM

If you still need it, here's some further advice...

Since meat contains more protein and raises serum creatinine faster than other food, your mother should be on a strict vegetarian diet.

Chewing 7 leaves of the Vinca rosea plant every day has been shown to reduce creatinine levels in the blood.

Extract of the plant Urtica diocia is also helpful for reducing creatinine levels.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2009, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan View Post
    Hello Rahul,

Obviously any rise in sugar will be of concern......you don't say if your Mum is type1, insulin controlled diabetese or perhaps being a senior citizen she may be type 2 which is tablet controlled diabetese.Takecare

I need clarification here - are you saying that the only difference between Type 1 Diabetes and Type 2 is that Type 1 is controlled by insulin and Type 2 is controlled by "tablets"?

Or am I misunderstanding you - ?
    pixiedust33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I need clarification here - are you saying that the only difference between Type 1 Diabetes and Type 2 is that Type 1 is controlled by insulin and Type 2 is controlled by "tablets"?

Or am I misunderstanding you - ?
    That is incorrect. Type 2 can be controlled with diet, pills or insulin. I am Type 2 and use insulin. The difference between the two is that generally, Type 1 diabetics have a pancreas that does not produce insulin. Type 2 diabetics have a pancreas that does produce some or the cells resist the insulin that is produced. Hope this helps
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2009, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiedust33 View Post
    That is incorrect. Type 2 can be controlled with diet, pills or insulin. I am Type 2 and use insulin. The difference between the two is that generally, Type 1 diabetics have a pancreas that does not produce insulin. Type 2 diabetics have a pancreas that does produce some or the cells resist the insulin that is produced. Hope this helps

I know - my husband died from complications of diabetes.

That's why I was questioning the person who posted the incorrect info.

"Orphan" never came back and has since moved on to other threads.
    pixiedust33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I know - my husband died from complications of diabetes.

That's why I was questioning the person who posted the incorrect info.

I'm sorry for your loss. I just had blood drawn to check on the creatinine levels. I had kidney cancer and had that kidney removed and now will be checking on the other one periodically. Keep up with yours and I hope all will go well for you.
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiedust33 View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss. I just had blood drawn to check on the creatinine levels. I had kidney cancer and had that kidney removed and now will be checking on the other one periodically. Keep up with yours and I hope all will go well for you.

You misunderstood me - I think. I am not diabetic. I have no kidney problems or kidney function problems.

My HUSBAND had diabetes which lead to end stage kidney disease and dialysis (which he did not tolerate well) and he died.

I am fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can reduce Creatinine level in blood [ 16 Answers ]

Dear any Nephrologist member, Am Kumar 37 years, Male. Recently I noticed my Creatinine level is increasing from 1.3 to 1.52. Am HT past 8 years and under medication. How can reduce creatinine? What will be harmful to my health? Some calcium deposits find in my Kidney also. Your early answer...

My creatinine level has gone up from 1.1 to 1.3 [ 1 Answers ]

5 years ago, I had renal cell carcinoma. I have 1 Kidney now as 1 was removed due to renal cell carcinoma. Today I got my routine blood test done. Creatinine was until now 1.1 but it has become 1.3. The limit is 1.4 Further in my Hepatic Biochemical profile, my Albumin (in Total proteins) has...

What is Creatinine? [ 1 Answers ]

CREATININE *If you are sent to the lab to test your blood for creatinine, what is the test trying to confirm?

My Rescue Dog Won't Eat [ 4 Answers ]

I just adopted a Doberman from a Dobie rescue organization. He's about a year old. When he was rescued, he was all ribs and bones. They had him about 4 months and he has put on a little weight. Since coming to my house, he won't eat. He will come to eat then turn his nose and walk away. I know he's...

View more questions Search