Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clare57 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Outlet is hot
    I have an outlet with 2 spaces and the upper one is very hot and it smells bad. What is causing this and why only the top one hot and what about the smell? Can it catch on fire?
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 28, 2008, 10:51 PM
    It might have a short circuit. That can catch fire. See if you can trip the breaker switch to it.

I would plug a lamp into the good part of it and turn the lamp on. Switch the breaker off and on. If the lamp goes off, then back on, that's the one to that circuit.

Be sure the power is off if you try to replace the receptacle yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert Electric Dryer outlet to regular outlet [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a gas dryer, leaving a funky 3 pronged outlet unused. The outlet was connected to the fuse box as a single circuit and I would like to let the new gas outlet take advantage of this. Is there any problem replacing the 'funky' electric dryer outlet to a regular three pronged outlet,...

Outlet box is hot [ 3 Answers ]

I accidental drop a wrench, it hit the electric outlet box and it sparked. It seems the outside of the outlet box is energized. Should this box be ground to something like a water pipe If so, where do you run the wire too??

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

How do I install a new cable outlet from an existing cable outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have cable and want to install a new cable box on another wall? How do I fish the cable to the new location and how do I install the new cable box outlet?

Must you re-wire outlet to outlet? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there. Great site. I am rewiring my 1950's house with plaster walls, older wiring had no ground. Because it is one story, and extremely tight in the attic on the outer walls, I ran a 12/2 home run for the outlets, to a big (1900?) junction box, then "spidered" out to each individual...

View more questions Search