Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanJV Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 09:45 PM
    3 yr old heat pump, heat works, no cool
    I have a heat pump that was 3 years old in May. We went to change from heating to cooling about a month ago. I noticed later that it wasn't cooling. Checked and found it had tripped the breaker. Reset and instantly threw the breaker again. Called a friend that does A/C work on the side. We traced the issue to the compressor. Replaced it, no more throwing breakers. Charged the system with coolant.

Now the odd part. You can hear the compressor running, but we are not getting cooling. If we switch to heat, we get heat. If we switch to cool, you can hear almost a dripping through the lines in the house, and some condensate builds up on the small line going into the furnace unit. If he puts his gauges on and allows the system to circulate through them... he gets frost build up almost immediately. Close the valve and the frost goes away.

My friend thinks there might be blockage, but neither of us understands why the system works cooling through the gauges and for heat, but not for cooling though the A coil. I should also mention that my friend said he heard the reversing coil switch from heat to cool so we feel like that is working.

HELP!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 11:18 PM
    You could have a defective reversing valve or the solenoid coil for the valve could be bad.

I have no idea what the person knows that changed your compressor but there is a lengthy process to do it correctly. I hope at least he removed the factory drier in the unit and added a new drier in the liquid line. If things were bad enough with the old compressor a suction drier should have also been added.

I am not going to describe the entire program here but a very good vacuum pump,driers and all the other toys should have been used to change out the compressor. If they were not then things like what you are experiencing happen and there is no easy cure. You might end up having to get a REAL professional to do a ON SITE check of your unit.

Jun 29, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Ok, thank you. We had doubts on the valve since he heard it switch over. I'll have to ask on the dryer. I don't know.

Trouble with the "real" professional is, like some others on the forum have run into... enough screw you that its hard to tell when you are being taken advantage of or getting good advise. I had a real professional come out first. It was going to cost over $800 to replace the compressor UNDER WARRANTY (for labor, shipping, freon, etc). The worse part was, they said that they "thought" it was the compressor and it might correct the problem. I realize that if the compressor is down, its hard to troubleshoot anything else. But the reason I call a professional is to draw on their experience so from the symptoms, they can confidently quote a most likely case. I found it unlikely that a 3 year old compressor just went out when I made the switch to cold. And I'm new to the area I'm living in, so all I could rely on was the yellow pages. Oh, and they charged $100 to come out and troubleshoot it. That can get expensive quick for multiple opinions.

I blame the manufacturers for the situation I'm in. A warranty should take care of defects or premature failures. It's the manufacturers mistake/error/defect and they should cover the costs to make it right. It shouldn't be the owners, the installer, or anyone performing the repair. Sorry to rant, but I'm one that starts with the Pro's and seek other means if I think I'm being taken or the Pro doesn't appear knowledgeable. And this time I thought both!

Jun 29, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Now that a unauthorised person worked on it the warranty might be gone all together.

You might check the flow rate/piston/expansion valve to see if that is causing your problem.

Jun 29, 2008, 07:47 PM
    He is licensed and authorized. Got an offer he couldn't refuse and got out of the business. Has maintained his license or what ever it is cause he enjoys it. He replaced the compressor under warranty... just didn't stick me with all the other charges (except I'm paying him for gas, freon, etc). He just doesn't know heat pumps that well. Says he didn't install many of them in his day.

Thank you for your help. You are obviously an honest knowledgeable repairman, a credit to your field. I hope there are more of you than I think. Its probably against the forum rules, but if you are in Missouri, I'd hire you for the repairs.

He wasn't able to come out today. Says he'll be out tomorrow. He did replace the drier, though not with the suction type you mentioned. I'll mention the flow rate/piston/expansion valve to him when he comes out.

Jun 29, 2008, 10:53 PM
    I hope it all works out and you get the unit running again.

Jul 1, 2008, 09:47 AM
    I just wanted to pass along the outcome. My friend came back out, this time armed with a new set of gauges and a valve. He was concerned that one of the fittings he connects to leaked when he disconnected the last time he was out. So this time, he "fiddled" with the connection, then connected his new gauges and the system seemed to take freon. We're getting 56 degrees at the register now. Not sure if it was the connector or his very old gauges, but the system is working now.

Thank you for your input.

Jul 1, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Good deal
    jimmy jones Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 12:07 PM
    What is a proper charge for condensing unit on a hot day 80-90%
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Are you checking this yourself?

Jul 1, 2008, 04:46 PM
    what is a proper charge for condensing unit on a hot day 80-90%

If you passed your test for your certification you will know that answer. There is no set in stone value for the question you ask especially since you did not supply all the necessary information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pump Doesn't cool, even heats up whenon Cool Setting [ 4 Answers ]

About a 10 year old "YORK High Performance" heat pump... The heat pump was set to Cool for my summer AC and usually has been working well. At noon on a warm day it stopped The element inside-blower with the freon (sp?) would not get cool and for short times heat up blowing warm air in an...

Heat pump not blowing cool air [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My heat pump has been cooling just great until last evening when the register air was only blowing 62 degrees, even as it cooled outside the register air never dropped down. To be safe I shut it off. Anything I could do other than calling repair? Does refrigerant need to be charged?...

Heat Pump runs but doesn't heat or cool. [ 4 Answers ]

I know this is pretty basic--but my older Rheem Classic IX (in FL) seems to be operating fine--except it stopped heating and I think, cooling. It seems to be running fine, without any obvious leaking. It just blows the same cool air on either setting. Where should I start? Are there fuses to look...

Heat Pump only works above 50 degrees [ 1 Answers ]

My heat pump only works in cool weather, not at all in cold. It only blows cold air in temps below about 45-50 degrees. I don't think the aux heater and/ or the emergency heat are coming on. Where do I need to go in the unit to check these components? Thanks

Heat Pump Thermostat Set to Cool, Blows Hot Air [ 6 Answers ]

Having a problem with my heat pump system. The thermostat is set to cool but the unit is blowing hot air. If it has been turned off for awhile and we turn it back on to cool (fan set to auto), it will blow at what seems to be room temperature for awhile (5-20 minutes) and then turns to hot air...

View more questions Search