Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Mar 21, 2006, 11:08 PM
    HELP with construction of handrail and spindles
    I want to add 2x2x36 colonial spindles to a handrail... how do I..

1.Attach these to the bottom and top rails so you can't see screws or nails and
    2.What's the easiest way to attach these rails to the 4x4 posts?

thanks folks for any help
    TommyP
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2006, 03:52 AM
    Typically spindles are set into holes in the underside of the handrail and in the top of the bottom piece.

So unless someone knows a quick and easy way that I'm not aware of, to get those holes drilled at the correct angle, I suggest you get a new handrail and bottom piece that are pre drilled for spindles.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Mar 22, 2006, 08:52 AM
    I saw Lowe's has these EZ Fit handrails with holes ready for the 2x2 spindles but I'm still lost at how to hide the mounting hardware for the rail to the 4x4 post... I want a clean look that doesn't look hob cobbed... thanks for the info
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Mar 22, 2006, 08:38 PM
    What your need is called a rail bolt. It has a wood threaded end that screws into the newel post(4x4) and the connects to the railing in a pre-drilled holes either by you or factory) and then fastened w/ a washer and nut from the underside of the railing. To finish it off, a wood dowel plug is glued in. To see what I mean go to stairsupplies.com and search rail bolt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OSB used in construction [ 8 Answers ]

Can I use this type of board for walls and roof and floors for my shed if I intend to cover the exterior in sheetmetal?. if so, should I paint all of the OS.. just in case it rains while I'm building?. this is going to be a 1 man job so its going to take me awhile.. thanks for any help

New construction [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a new townhouse in Virginia. Would you recommend copper or pvc piping throughout the home and why. Thank you...

New tub old construction [ 1 Answers ]

I am intending to install a new tub in my downstairs bath. It has a large linen closet that we do not use and would like to put the tub there. I am curious if anyone has ideas as to how to plumb this. I have my own, however I am not a plumber and would like to see how you guys might go about it....

New construction [ 3 Answers ]

I plan to have a house built, and circumstances (financial and otherwise) Necessitate that I assume some of the construction chores such as plumbing, Electrical, floor plan design, and contracting. I'm probably way over my Head on the plumbing task because I've had very little experience. The...

Construction [ 1 Answers ]

How much does it cost to build a parliament in a developing country?

View more questions Search